Adoption help

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
With the recent sad adoption rejections I'm wondering if anyone can help with the "rules". I'm sure there has to be someone that can give advice on what rescues are looking for. I have read the happy stories and I'm wondering if someone can help. Maybe someone can give us some understanding of how to fill out the paperwork and talk to the rescue more effectively. It makes me sad that good people get their heart broke and their feelings hurt. Any advice?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It's tough, and so many rescues look for different things. I was disqualified once because I give Tank holistic meds instead of your run of the mill flea, tick, and heart worm meds.

Most of the local rescues around my state like a solid vetting history, everything up to date as far as shots and heart worm tests, etc. They want all current dogs to be spayed/neutered, and they want a stable environment, fenced backyard, not much home alone time for the dog.
Those are just some of the things I can think of but I've seen places that won't adopt to people with small kids or people with newer pets.
There are so many rules and it can be frustrating, the waiting is one of the worst parts. My best advice is to keep an app on file with a rescue even if they don't have a dog you want. They will get ahold of you if they think they have a good match. Plus it lets them know you are serious and not making a decision on the fly about adoption. Make sure you also contact them often when a dog does catch your eye.

Good luck and try not to be discouraged. It will happen :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I totally agree with [MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] you just have to keep trying. It'll happen, good luck Roseanne!

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
With so many bulldogs needing families, I don't understand the strict fencing requirement. I have owned bulldogs for 30 years and haven't had a fence for the last 22 years. My dogs have been well cared for, get plenty of exercise, playtime and walks. They are much safer in the cool house instead of the yard, where they could tangle with raccoons, coyotes, deer or people who steal dogs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
It can be very heartbreaking and discouraging. My husband and I were denied twice, for not being stable enough (we moved a lot) and once when we were living in the same house as my dad and his unaltered male pug. They were worried about the male pug. So we ended up getting Frank from a breeder. However, I would be more patient now and not give up as easily, especially when I see all the bulldogs in rescue that need good homes. I can't wait until we are in the position to get another bullie because we are definitely going to rescue, no matter how long it takes. I just see all those poor abandoned bulldogs in the rescue who need good homes and it reminds me that it is about helping them and giving them the love that they deserve.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
As you all know, I have been through the adoption process. It is rigorous. I think I filled out more paper work for Frankie than I did when I bought my house. Anyway, I found it easier to foster to adopt. The rules are still in effect, but you get a dog much faster and it is a great time for you, the rescue, and quite frankly, the dog to see if it is a suitable match. If it is, than you have your doggie, if not, you did a great thing by fostering until a match is made. I think as long as you have air conditioning, are not away from home for extended periods of time and your yard is fenced in, you should be ok to foster. I think it would give the rescues a chance to see the dog thriving in the home environment.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
It can be very heartbreaking and discouraging. My husband and I were denied twice, for not being stable enough (we moved a lot) and once when we were living in the same house as my dad and his unaltered male pug. They were worried about the male pug. So we ended up getting Frank from a breeder. However, I would be more patient now and not give up as easily, especially when I see all the bulldogs in rescue that need good homes. I can't wait until we are in the position to get another bullie because we are definitely going to rescue, no matter how long it takes. I just see all those poor abandoned bulldogs in the rescue who need good homes and it reminds me that it is about helping them and giving them the love that they deserve.

I agree. We ended up purchasing Leiah and then Charley as older puppies from owners who felt they couldn't keep them. I ended up "rescuing"but for a higher price! Unfortunately sellers might be less than honest so you might not know issues until after the purchase. That happened with Leiah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Sometimes I think they just reject people because they get a power trip from it.
Ideally, you should not work but have lots of money, own your own home with no stairs, have no young children, have no other animal unless perhaps its a "sedate" dog of the opposite sex that has already been altered, not live near a pool, a lake, or a puddle, not be too old so you won't die before the dog. It's ridiculous.
However, as previously mentioned, if you say you will foster a dog, you get one right away and all those stringent rules do not apply. It all depends on the person you are dealing with.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.