My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Both are so Beautiful. Looks like they were having a lot of fun playing together.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I would agree with genetics! Look at Arnold's massive block head and muscle mass weighing in at almost 70 pounds yet compare him to @RiiSi babies and he looks small. And Bertha's stature would make many males look small. Both my bullies have very large parents but arnold is more long legged. But he breathes easier because of it.

I love those pictures ! Keep them coming !

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Good to see them getting along so well!

My boys both weight around 30kg/66lbs, even the younger one who still has a lot of maturing to do, so he will be bigger than Usko. They too look very different even though they have some same lineage. I should sometime take pics of them in the same position just to compare.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Jim that is so interesting… [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION]
I've been comparing Winston to Walter… Winston had a MASSIVE head compared to Wally's, but honestly I can see Wally's head is getting bigger. One thing that I'm happy about is that Wally is getting taller. Bella was so short for a bully, and Winston had this HUGE head and was relatively short. Wally is way taller, which I think is a good thing. I agree w/Tracy [MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION] I think it really helps w/the breathing issues...

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I can't speak as much about bulldogs as I can bullmastiffs, [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION], but I know a lot of it has to do with breeder preference. One of my bullmastiffs had a beautiful head, but was often passed over by judges in favor of more exaggerated features. :mad: Other, older judges would tell me that he was closer to the breed standard than other dogs who consistently beat him in the ring. I know several breeders strived for a specific "look" to their dogs, often to the detriment of their health. Mabel was probably a cute little wrinkly thing with exaggerated features that attracted her to the fool who saw dollar signs in her future litters. She's our pretty little thing :drawheart: , but never should have been bred. I think with bulldogs and the mills and backyard breeders that pump them out, there is no thought to the future appearance of the dog, which could contribute to the differences in features. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], I think [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] or other reputable breeders might be able to address this, but I know that bullmastiff heads are not completely developed until they're about 2 years old. By the way, I love Wally!!!!! :havemyheart: He is adorable!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I can't speak as much about bulldogs as I can bullmastiffs, @Chumley, but I know a lot of it has to do with breeder preference. One of my bullmastiffs had a beautiful head, but was often passed over by judges in favor of more exaggerated features. :mad: Other, older judges would tell me that he was closer to the breed standard than other dogs who consistently beat him in the ring. I know several breeders strived for a specific "look" to their dogs, often to the detriment of their health. Mabel was probably a cute little wrinkly thing with exaggerated features that attracted her to the fool who saw dollar signs in her future litters. She's our pretty little thing :drawheart: , but never should have been bred. I think with bulldogs and the mills and backyard breeders that pump them out, there is no thought to the future appearance of the dog, which could contribute to the differences in features. @ddnene, I think @bullmama or @Davidh or other reputable breeders might be able to address this, but I know that bullmastiff heads are not completely developed until they're about 2 years old. By the way, I love Wally!!!!! :havemyheart: He is adorable!

Aww Thank You Chris… we think Wally is pretty special too!!! ;)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Most( purebred) breeds have a good variety of looks. If you don't really follow a breed-you don't really notice. You know by looking WHAT breed it is, but the judges, if you show, know what the perfect true to the breed looks should be. ( and no one except the winner ever agrees with the judge!!! [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION]

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Lol :-) great shots :-) ty

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's good to see them playing together, too cool. The part about them looking differnt, is like others have said it's all in the genetics of breeding.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.