She's a chewer!

Iamteamnike

Jun 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
My girl Brooklyn like to chew up everything she can get her hands on lol. Is there anything out there besides raw-hide that I can give her that she won't chew up. I heard Nyla bones are an alternative, but just wanted some in-site if anyone has any other ideas.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Mine weren't terrible chewers but most importantly keep everything out of reach that you can. They have sprays called bitter apple that can deter chewing of furniture but luckily I never needed that. Keep the pup in an area where she can't get into trouble whenever you can't keep a closeful eye on her. Get her toys and bones (soft nylabones are great for puppies) and praise her anytime she chews on her own things. :) I personally don't like raw hides or pigs ears. They are treated with toxic chemicals plus my dog tried to swallow one! Check the pet store for puppy chews like the puppy keys, puppy fish etc... They are a bit softer than the other nylabones and won't hurt her teeth. I also do not ever give mine the edible bones - again mine will swallow a big chunk and choke on it plus I've become more concerned about what my dog eats so these are a no, no for me. Good luck and know this phase will pass.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel (14 mos) is a very heavy chewer. We give here Nyla bones and other chew toys that states for "heavy chewers" on the label. If I give Jewel something with fabric, it will take Jewel 30 minutes before it is ruined. We definitely do not use raw-hide because our pug many years ago had a piece lodged in his throat. I used a pair of forceps to get it dislodged. There is also Elk antlers that can stand up to heavy chewers.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I don't know how old your dog is-but pretty much at all ages(but especially pups) you have to pay attention to what the dog is up to! I was constantly saying "no chew that,chew this" and putting a nylabone in their mouth! Nylabones Kongs and elk antlers(which I don't use-I know it would cause a fight..) are great for pups. I was constantly looking to see what they were up to. If you keep at telling what they CAN'T chew and giving them what they CAN chew, eventually it pays off. It takes patience and
repitition. I never give rawhides or pig ears, I learned years ago. If you have a young pup-a cow hoof is great for keeping them busy-but do not leave them alone with it, and make sure it is a USA made hoof. Hope this helps! Once they have gotten their second teeeth-they are less chewers-but still will eat sh@! outside!

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Raw hides are not a good idea try kongs with kibble, a good stick / hardwood, rope toys supervised and great when frozen for teething. Ice cubes plain or made with some broth. Large uncooked bones are a few examples sure you will hear of more.

OP
I

Iamteamnike

Jun 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Brooklyn is 10 months. & she loves to chew fabric for some reason maybe she like that texture on her teeth. So I'm definatly gonna try Nyla bone to see if that'll keep her from not chewing up other things. She just totally destroyed my tv remote one day lol (it's not funny, but I can't get mad at her) & I also tried the really tuff rubber toys but she doesn't seem interested in that. So ima try the Nyla bone & see how that works thanks for all you guys input!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We use nylabons, kongs, orkas, moose antlers and things like that for Harlea. It takes time but eventually they get the hint. Occasionally she still tries to sneak a sock or something so you have to be on the look out. I also agree with Lynn in that you really don't want to give a bully a rawhide, pig ear, cow hooves or bully stix as they are choking hazards for the little garbage disposals. Out go to toy is a set of nylabone keys that we got for Harlea when she was a pup and she still loves to chew on them.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I buy my toys from tufftoys.com; they have a rating on a chewing toughness scale and i usually get the ones with a rating of 8 or higher. Both my girls are chewers; antlers work great too. So do the marrow bones raw and once they are done with them the center and it is clean you can put peanut butter in it and they will lick it out of it. Mine chew on those bones forever until I see small pieces coming off they I throw them away. The toys usually last for about 6-8 months with both of them playing tug of war with them; one on each end. Good luck!

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I buy ALL of Goob's toys (and clothes) from Baxterboo.com They have a "tough toy" section, great prices, and fast shipping. All round great place for toys. One toy that Goob hasn't chewed through is a Hurley Dog Toy. It's a plastic toy but this is one plastic toy that Good has not chewed through. It is a bone shape and it comes in multiple colors. I didn't like to use the Nylabones too often with Goob because the hard plastic would get sharp and jagged and it would cut his chin and cheeks. This Hurley bone is his security blanket. He will NOT come to bed unless he has that bone with him. If he can't find it, he will cry for us to help him look. It's so cute!

P.S. Always buy the biggest toys possible. The bigger the better. Like other people said, we stay away from raw hides, pig ears, and the like. Too risky and not worth it.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
PLEASE be careful w/rawhides… my bully Bella almost chocked to death on one of those. We use nylabones, antlers and larger bones for our dogs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
redirect with ewhat she needs to understand to be 'hers'.... get antlers, marrow bones (soup bones from butcher/meat dept,), kongs, nylabones. And, keep those little things (remotes, etc) up high where she can not reach them -- they are all stinkers and thieves if the oppurtunity is there

eriesisgod

Jul 6, 2014
Our baby gives me the look like "but mom I don't want to chew my toy, I want to chew your toy"

I have toys, tennis ball, and a few old cloths tied in a knot just for her. I need to get her some antlers.

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. Redirecting was what I have been doing with my Jake at the very beginning. In our home, I don't hide garbage bins in any room even the kitchen garbage (I have the regular open no lid kind bin). My shoes are lying on the floor and I don't have to worry about him biting them and playing with it like toys. I started with redirecting and saying "no biting" when he was really young (he is only 4 1/2 months now). If He would steal a shoe and start biting on it, I would go approach him and show him I'm the Mom and I say no biting. I made sure he looked at me in the eye (very important) before I remove whatever he was not supposed to be biting and then I walk away. Fast forward, when he does that now, I just make the sound "eh eh eh" and say "no biting" and he looks at me, pause a little bit (probably trying to gauge me if I'm losing my cool?) and walks away and play with something else he is allowed to.

Somebody told me before that puppies love peanut butter. So I bought this Kong peanut butter and they are expensive! Well, I've found out that my Jake doesn't like peanut butter! So what I did, I would taint the items he would love to bite with PB without worrying that he will get poisoned. I just put a pea size on the items and it worked like a repellant. Now I no longer do that as he pretty much know which ones he is allowed to play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online