Feel like a bad bully parent

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Yep... been there... done that!!! That is why I never want a puppy again. Give me those seniors anyday.

If I were you when you feel a bit frustrsted... just put him in his crate. They need the down time anyway. ANd it will help calm yourself down too. Your just fine... I think we've all lost our cool at some point with our pups without any ill effect. If you don't make it a habit... they understand... we all understand!

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
We got Silva when she was 8 weeks and did the typical biting stage but we had to be very stern and consistent with her. We have 2 daughters that did not enjoy the biting. I am very lucky Silva learned very qucikly what was acceptable and what was not! Good luck it will get better!

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
[MENTION=676]mammyglicks[/MENTION], STUBBORN! yes.. lol
[MENTION=925]wfd38383[/MENTION], i'm not even kidding you, that dog drove me to drink so many times.

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
I'm laughing b/c I have small children and a puppy. There's all sorts of yelling going on around our house. :)

I've done what everyone has told you and it's working. Our command is "no biting" and we put him on his back. Every week we can tell he's biting less and less. Plus, his lost his two top canines last week. Those were some sharp buggers. Good luck.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
One thing we have had to do is to
teach our son how to play with Jozi.
Kids want to play ruff until the ruff starts
to hurt. Then they don't want to play anymore.
This sends mixed signals to the puppies.

So we have to really keep an eye on our
son when he is playing with her. And we have
had to teach our son how to play easy with her.
He wants to push and shove and be a boy with
her. This leads to biting things she isn't suppose
to. So now he only plays with her with her toys,
and she is doing a lot better. Plus we don't have
to hear "Jozi bit me!" anymore. Or at least not
as much.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
When Chester is bad .. he just goes into his crate by himself. Tried the corner - it didn't work (some may remember he gave me "high five" when I pointed my finger at him :rolleyes: ) And we are bad, because we are "enablers". Usually if he bites (which is not that often now that he is older and is not purposeful as he is playing).. we yell "ouch" loud and wave our hand for him to go away. That's when he'll go cower somewhere. Young puppies, yes..they think EVERYTHING is playing. I used to put Chester in his pen when he was that little, and he doesn't think of it as punishment now. After I let him out for the night (and he takes 18 hours to do his business in the snow :angry: ) he comes in and goes right to his pen and lays down and is snoring shortly. I think he thinks of his crate as the place to be that is only his and no one can get to him there :lol:

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Tonight we tried the idea [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] said about the pennies in a soup can. We duct taped the lid back on since I have no idea where the glue gun got to... You HAVE to try that. It is working amazingly with Annabella! This is the first time since we got her that we can sit on the floor and actually play with her instead of getting ticked in 10 minutes because she refuses to acknowledge what "NO BITING" means after drawing blood from all our body parts. She hasn't even attacked our Boston. Hear's those coins rattle and stops and sits on her butt. Use that with the "no bite" and I think you'll enjoy your baby a bit more

Members online

No members online now.