Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yesterday, my son took Blossom for a walk to the corner store, and on the way, there is a grassy field where everyone takes a shortcut to go to the Plaza. While they were walking, Blossom found a whole apple that somebody had taken one bite out of and then threw it away. My son didn't see it because the grass was high, she inhaled the whole apple, and was trying to swallow it whole. My son was afraid she would choke on it, so he tried to take it out of her mouth, he pried her mouth open, and she was fighting hard to keep that apple. He put his hand in her mouth, and grabbed the apple, and she clamped down on his finger, she didn't really put a bite mark in his finger, just a tiny point, and it didn't bleed, but he said she crushed his bone In his finger, and he couldn't open her mouth. He said it really hurt. He did get the apple away from her, and she really didn't mean to bite him, she is just so food motivated and she really wanted that apple. They sure do have strong jaws when they want to.
The app,e itself wouldn't have hurt her, but if she had swallowed it whole or in huge pieces, she could have choked, or it may have caused an obstruction, plus I always worry that the apple could have something on it or in it, I know paranoid right? But we've had a few cases where people have planted food like hotdogs, mini sausages and other things with poison, razor blades, and other dangerous objects at dog parks to make dogs sick or die. It's terrible that people would do this on purpose to harm an animal. I hope my sons finger is okay, and he doesn't get an infection.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
This reminds me of myself. Several years ago I tried to get a photo of Vegas eating watermelon. My mother-in-law gave him the watermelon and she gave him everything including the rind. I dropped my camera and I tried to remove it from his mouth. Big mistake. He had a grip on that watermelon and he wasn't letting go!. I had my hand in his mouth with my fingers on the rind. He decided to adjust his grip and he included my finger when he bit back down. He bit it all the way down to the bone and when I started screaming is when he let go. This is when we came up with the "stupid is as stupid does" award. Within the following couple of weeks we had to cut open the front end of my finger to remove a little bit of bone.

**The one true gift in life is to love and to be loved**

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH!!! hope it is just a bruise

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh man, that's scary. You actually lost a piece of your bone? We try so hard to keep them safe, my son was afraid she would choke on the apple, and you were afraid Vegas would choke on the watermelon rind, so we don't even think about it and put our hands in their mouth, but unfortunately their jaws are so powerful, and they love their food. Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sorry about his finger! One of my donkeys needs her teeth floated-and no equine dentist around here-so I have to put my fingers in and pull the grass impacted between her cheek and teeth(molars). One day she bit down on my finger(by starting to chew) and all that force was right on my finger nail. OMG! That hurt so bad-I know how your son felt! Eventually, the nail turned purple and came off. It never got infected. But I would have your son soak his finger in epsom salts-water as hot as he can stand, for a few days,just to be sure. I know how strong those bullie jaws are, as I have also had to pry them open to take "junk" away from them-that they think is a TREASURE!!! [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Oh man, that's scary. You actually lost a piece of your bone? We try so hard to keep them safe, my son was afraid she would choke on the apple, and you were afraid Vegas would choke on the watermelon rind, so we don't even think about it and put our hands in their mouth, but unfortunately their jaws are so powerful, and they love their food. Lol

He crushed the knuckle and chipped the bone. The ragged cut was on the top of the knuckle and the little piece of bone was on the bottom side.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Ouch. I hope everything will be ok. Just keep an eye out for unusual swelling in the area.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm sorry your son got hurt. The bullies don't realize how strong they are and your son did the right thing preventing Blossom from choking. I find that I tend to buy good sized toys also for them because when they readjust their grip on small toys and your holding the other end, Wham!! you get bitten.

Holly33

Aug 23, 2013
New Hampshire
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joe
Ouch, I can tell you from my recent experience to have your son keep a close eye on it. I was told that not bleeding can make it easier for the bacteria to get in there. Hope his finger gets better soon!

MARY BARNES

Aug 27, 2013
Country
CANADA
Bulldog(s) Names
ELLIE 2013-2017....Rocky RIP (2005-2013)
Sad story ..hope your brave son's finger is better soon.. He was brave trying to look after his fur freind.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
So sorry about your son's finger. Hope it heals fast and not get an infection. Bifi too chomped on my finger once. I was trying to remove a peice of meat that he was trying too hard to swallow but was a bit big for him. Like your son i was afraid he might choke. My finger was inside his mouth too. i was lucky i only had a bruised finger for two weeks. I can only imagine your son's pain, [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]'.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I am so sorry for your son being traumatized by your beloved bully. A new game may be in order to play with Blossom...."Leave it." Place a high value treat on the floor near Blossom and when she reaches for it, cover it with your foot and say "leave it." When blossom complies, reward her with a treat but not the one under the foot. This is what we do with Jewel and she complies 90% of the time when she starts picking a "non-puppy approved" item. The other 10% is taking it form her. Bentley on the other hand is a work in progress. Best regards.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh man Roger I'd be afraid she would eat our foot, or at least try to chomp on it to get to that treat. Lol. She's the most food oriented dog I've ever seen. We can't even open our cereal box in the kitchen in the morning without her going mental. She thinks all crinkly sounds are her dog food. I'm wondering about my neighbourhood too because this is the second time she's found fruit and tried to eat it. A few months back when we had one of our first nice days, we went on a long walk and she found a whole banana in the grass beside the sidewalk and she tried to scarf that down. Hubby was able to get it away from her, at least she didn't swallow the peel, but she did get the banana that squished out the sides.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I love it. Blossom just needs a little training. And from all your posts that I read, I know you and your family can correct Blossom's appetite.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I had given Goob a new chew toy/bone which I thought was a hard Nylabone type. I was sitting at the computer and watching him chew it when I heard a snap! He had broken a piece off and was eating it!!! He started to gag. I pried his mouth open and pulled out what he was choking on but he bit down not wanting me to take it...STILL...and got my finger. It felt worse than someone smashing it with a hammer!!! He bit through my finger and punctured a hole in my nail...It was terrible but I was more concerned with him. I threw that bone away. It was one of those edible bone type things but it was no match for jaws over here. No more of those.

Most Reactions