Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Blossom Chomped on My Sons' Finger

Yesterday, my son took Blossom for a walk to the corner store, and on the way, there is a grassy field where everyone takes a shortcut to go to the Plaza. While they were walking, Blossom found a whole apple that somebody had taken one bite out of and then threw it away. My son didn't see it because the grass was high, she inhaled the whole apple, and was trying to swallow it whole. My son was afraid she would choke on it, so he tried to take it out of her mouth, he pried her mouth open, and she was fighting hard to keep that apple. He put his hand in her mouth, and grabbed the apple, and she clamped down on his finger, she didn't really put a bite mark in his finger, just a tiny point, and it didn't bleed, but he said she crushed his bone In his finger, and he couldn't open her mouth. He said it really hurt. He did get the apple away from her, and she really didn't mean to bite him, she is just so food motivated and she really wanted that apple. They sure do have strong jaws when they want to.
    The app,e itself wouldn't have hurt her, but if she had swallowed it whole or in huge pieces, she could have choked, or it may have caused an obstruction, plus I always worry that the apple could have something on it or in it, I know paranoid right? But we've had a few cases where people have planted food like hotdogs, mini sausages and other things with poison, razor blades, and other dangerous objects at dog parks to make dogs sick or die. It's terrible that people would do this on purpose to harm an animal. I hope my sons finger is okay, and he doesn't get an infection.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blossom Chomped on My Sons' Finger

This reminds me of myself. Several years ago I tried to get a photo of Vegas eating watermelon. My mother-in-law gave him the watermelon and she gave him everything including the rind. I dropped my camera and I tried to remove it from his mouth. Big mistake. He had a grip on that watermelon and he wasn't letting go!. I had my hand in his mouth with my fingers on the rind. He decided to adjust his grip and he included my finger when he bit back down. He bit it all the way down to the bone and when I started screaming is when he let go. This is when we came up with the "stupid is as stupid does" award. Within the following couple of weeks we had to cut open the front end of my finger to remove a little bit of bone.

**The one true gift in life is to love and to be loved**

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

OUCH!!! hope it is just a bruise
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Oh man, that's scary. You actually lost a piece of your bone? We try so hard to keep them safe, my son was afraid she would choke on the apple, and you were afraid Vegas would choke on the watermelon rind, so we don't even think about it and put our hands in their mouth, but unfortunately their jaws are so powerful, and they love their food. Lol
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Sorry about his finger! One of my donkeys needs her teeth floated-and no equine dentist around here-so I have to put my fingers in and pull the grass impacted between her cheek and teeth(molars). One day she bit down on my finger(by starting to chew) and all that force was right on my finger nail. OMG! That hurt so bad-I know how your son felt! Eventually, the nail turned purple and came off. It never got infected. But I would have your son soak his finger in epsom salts-water as hot as he can stand, for a few days,just to be sure. I know how strong those bullie jaws are, as I have also had to pry them open to take "junk" away from them-that they think is a TREASURE!!! @Vikinggirl
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Oh man, that's scary. You actually lost a piece of your bone? We try so hard to keep them safe, my son was afraid she would choke on the apple, and you were afraid Vegas would choke on the watermelon rind, so we don't even think about it and put our hands in their mouth, but unfortunately their jaws are so powerful, and they love their food. Lol

He crushed the knuckle and chipped the bone. The ragged cut was on the top of the knuckle and the little piece of bone was on the bottom side.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Ouch. I hope everything will be ok. Just keep an eye out for unusual swelling in the area.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry your son got hurt. The bullies don't realize how strong they are and your son did the right thing preventing Blossom from choking. I find that I tend to buy good sized toys also for them because when they readjust their grip on small toys and your holding the other end, Wham!! you get bitten.
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Joe
    Likes (Received)

Ouch, I can tell you from my recent experience to have your son keep a close eye on it. I was told that not bleeding can make it easier for the bacteria to get in there. Hope his finger gets better soon!

Country
    CANADA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ELLIE 2013-2017....Rocky RIP (2005-2013)
    Likes (Received)

Sad story ..hope your brave son's finger is better soon.. He was brave trying to look after his fur freind.

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

So sorry about your son's finger. Hope it heals fast and not get an infection. Bifi too chomped on my finger once. I was trying to remove a peice of meat that he was trying too hard to swallow but was a bit big for him. Like your son i was afraid he might choke. My finger was inside his mouth too. i was lucky i only had a bruised finger for two weeks. I can only imagine your son's pain, @Libra926 and @Manydogs'.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I am so sorry for your son being traumatized by your beloved bully. A new game may be in order to play with Blossom...."Leave it." Place a high value treat on the floor near Blossom and when she reaches for it, cover it with your foot and say "leave it." When blossom complies, reward her with a treat but not the one under the foot. This is what we do with Jewel and she complies 90% of the time when she starts picking a "non-puppy approved" item. The other 10% is taking it form her. Bentley on the other hand is a work in progress. Best regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads