bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
So for the last few days radar has been puking mid meal or just shortly after his meal, he also sounds a little raspy. We have appt at vet this afternoon just wanted all your opinions on possible causes before we go. The only thing that has changed is his food went from fromm beef fritata to fromm duck and sweet potatoe for a change of pace for him.
ahavyne4.jpg
and just a cute pic of worn out boys after the 4th

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm… I'm not an expert on this, but I will tag some people. Sounds like maybe on obstruction?!! Does he eat super fast?!! I'm glad you are headed to the vet, please keep us posted...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Could be a number of things ranging from an obstruction, eating too fast to even the switch between Beef Fritatta (grain free) to Duck and Sweet Potatoe (not grain free) foods.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Tracey, it does sound like an obstruction. Symptoms of obstruction to look for are vomiting, diarrhea, drooling of water from the mouth, and lethargic behaviour. Sometimes there are no symptoms, or the symptoms show up weeks later, so it makes it very difficult to know if they swallowed something or what they have swallowed. These guys are so quick, and can and will eat almost anything. I have a male named Bulldozer, and he is my little bully goat. He eats a anything that isn't nailed down, when we are outside walking he will pick up sticks, rocks, pieces of paper, he especially likes paper towel, and his ultimate favourite is pinecones. When we are at home we have to be on our toes and puppy proof everything, he loves eating socks, and has done so 4 times. He only got sick once, the other times he showed no symptoms, he ate, drank, played like normal and then one day he would vomit up a sock or he would poop one out. We didn't even know he had swallowed one. They are usually my 6 year old grandsons socks as he takes them off, and leaves them everywhere, and Dozer finds them. One day I actually saw him swallow his sock but he was too fast and I couldn't get it out. I watched for the symptoms, but he never showed any, we were moving that month, so I watched his poop for a couple of weeks, and saw nothing, exactly a month later he threw up the sock in the morning, the day before we moved.

Could Radar have swallowed something you're not aware of? I'm glad you're taking him to the vet, to make sure he's okay, they can do an X-ray, but it won't show soft materials like socks or paper towel, that will show up as a shadow in the intestine though, the only way to really see what is in his tummy is an ultrasound, or a tube down his throat. The one time when Dozer did show symptoms, we took him to the vet, and she X-rayed him, it did show a shadow, she felt his tummy, and said she could feel that his tummy was full, and she could feel a mass there. She kept him for the day to give him IV fluids, because he had been vomiting, and had some diarrhea, she gave him some pain medication, and a strong laxative to help him move out the mass. That night when we went home, she sent us home with a few cans of a high fibre dog food, we had to feed him a Tbsp. every one to two hours, to help him move his bowels. She phoned the emergency vet to let them them know that we would probably be bringing him that night for emergency surgery, she thought for sure he would need surgery. She gave us the X-ray, and a list of the medications they had given him to give to the vet hospital. We went home at 5:00, and he was doped up so slept most of the time, but at 8:30 we carried him out to go potty, and he peed, and then he started circling and trying to find a place to poop, and he was struggling and straining to go as well. Then he passed the item, and it was a sock. He was fine after that. The vet called us the next morning and asked how he was doing, I told her what happened, and she couldn't believe it, she was so sure he would need surgery because of how sick and lethargic he was. She was shocked and asked us to bring him back to recheck his tummy and she wanted us to bring the sock. Ewww Gross, I had to fish it out of the garbage and bag it. Most of the time they will pass the object on their own by either throwing it up or pooping it out, but it is best to get him checked out by the vet o make sure he's okay.
I hope he's okay and he feels better soon, and it's nothing serious. Please keep us posted on how he's doing and what the vet says.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be allergic to one of the grains in the duck/sweet potato..... my boy was allergic to rice and this happen after every meal. have the vet check his soft palate too, could be causing issues with the summer heat being upon us

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Thank You all for your responses.

He isn't eating any faster then he did before, and he is still playfull, he also doesn't puke after every meal, maybe it is his food he has only been on it for 3-4 days and the puking started about the same time.

I am so confused on the Grain Free, when I went to pet flow and filtered dog frood, fromm's, grain free, the duck and sweet potatoe showed up along with many others. I logged in again to make sure that I wasn't imagining things and I noticed that even if you filter grain free it shows quite a few that don't have grain free in the name, I guess I will have to make sure I only order ones that have grain free in the title because the filter isn't 100%. Thank You Marine 91 for pointing that out!!

I live no where near where I can just go get another bag of food do you guys think I should get a grain free flavor on its way this morning before we see the vet and what do I feed him until it comes?

I will have her check his palate while we are there also.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You can home cook him a bland diet of beef and rice and feed him that until the food comes in.

This is BullMamas post for The Bland Diet

The "Bland Diet"

I am going to automatically link the words "Bland Diet" to this topic, so that everytime we mention those words together it will put a link that can be clicked to this topic. That way, we do not have to tell what is in the bland diet each time.

So my question for our members is, what do you put in your bland diet?

I use about 3/4 cup of white rice with boiled hamburger. I use some of the juice from the water I boiled the hamburger in to drizzle over the rice. If I have some on hand, I will also add a heaping tablespoon of cottage cheese.

If I have no hamburger, I will use chicken breast or tenderloins. Never bone in chicken- but if that is all I have I will pull the meat off the bone.

0 Comment(s)

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I just ordered him a bag of beef fritatta - that I know he does good on.

does anyone know can I donate his left over food to the local animal shelter if it is opened and no longer in the orginal bag? I would just pack it up in zip locks, I feel bad just throwing it away, if it could feed another dog.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you can definitely donate the dog food, most shelters welcome donations of dog food, as its always needed. I know that here in Canada, and in my area, I buy my dog food from Global Pets, and they will take back your opened dog food as long as its more than 1/2 full and will let you exchange for a different dog food, or in the case of Fromm's a different flavour. I don't know if your pet food store will do this or not. But it's always nice to donate to a shelter or rescue, and I'm sure they would appreciate the food.

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I will get it all packed up and take it to the shelter in the morning. I wish I lived close to a store that carried Fromm, but I don't so I have to order everything from Petflow.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Have you asked Petflow if they have a take back policy if the food doesn't agree with your pet, or if they don't like it. It's good to know for future purchases. Most places will take back the opened food as long it's at least half full, and will give you an exchange for something else. I'm not familiar with Petflow, as we don't have that here in Canada.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.