Introducing my bully to my new baby

UKWILDCATS

Jul 3, 2014
I need tips on introducing my 2 year old female bulldog to our first child, which will be here next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! We have been thru this situation when my grandson Marcus was born almost 3 years ago. To be perfectly honest MOST bullies are extremely gentle and very loving to newborn babies. Our Bella was constantly w/us whenever Marcus was around to include diaper changes, feedings, everything… LOL She just loved to sniff him, and take naps near him… it was very sweet. I would just make sure to give your bully baby plenty of attention (when you can… Lol) so there won't be any jealousy. I will tag some members that have little ones in the home… Congrats on you new bundle coming home soon, and we would LOVE to see some pics!!! :w00t:

OP
UKWILDCATS

UKWILDCATS

Jul 3, 2014
Thank you! And no problem. Paisley, my EB, is really sweet, but she goes through hyper spells, is jealous, and loves to lick faces. Sometimes she still also nips around at hands when you pet her around her face.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Tracey gave you great advice.... also, try to bring a blanket or shirt home for your bully to get the baby scent before baby comes home.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome2: to EBN!!! We have been thru this situation when my grandson Marcus was born almost 3 years ago. To be perfectly honest MOST bullies are extremely gentle and very loving to newborn babies. Our Bella was constantly w/us whenever Marcus was around to include diaper changes, feedings, everything… LOL She just loved to sniff him, and take naps near him… it was very sweet. I would just make sure to give your bully baby plenty of attention (when you can… Lol) so there won't be any jealousy. I will tag some members that have little ones in the home… Congrats on you new bundle coming home soon, and we would LOVE to see some pics!!! :w00t:

Tracey gave you great advice. I would also make sure visitors to see the baby give Paisley attention also-and do not push her out, as she needs to be included so as to not foster jealousy.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Introduce Your Dog to Your Baby

Our dogs are very in tune with us, so with an event as monumental as a pregnancy, your dog has already sensed that something is up. But just because she has picked up on the new feelings hanging in the air, doesn't mean that she understands what they mean.

Here are a few tips for preparing your dog for the new arrival.
Focus on leadership. Nine months is more than enough time for you and your pet to work through most issues and smooth out any unwanted habits, and for you to establish yourself as the unwavering pack leader. If necessary, hire a professional to work with you. You will appreciate the work you put in now when you bring your newborn home to a calm, well-behaved dog.

Be aware of your energy. A pregnancy affects the entire household. You may feel excited, anxious, or worried. Remember, your dog will mirror your emotions.

Claim your baby's scent. Bring an item that contains your baby's scent, such as a burp cloth, from the hospital before bringing home the baby. During this exercise, it is crucial that you set clear boundaries. Challenge the dog to sniff from a distance, while you are holding the item. By doing so, you are communicating to your dog that the item is yours and then giving permission for the dog to sniff. "This new item belongs to me, and you will need to follow my rules when around it." This helps start the process of creating respect for the baby.

Establish boundaries around the nursery. I recommend starting with the nursery off-limits. Condition your dog to understand that there is an invisible barrier that she may not cross without your permission. Eventually, you can allow your dog to explore and sniff certain things in the room with your supervision. Then you decide when she needs to leave. Repeat this activity a few times before the baby arrives. This will let your dog know that this room belongs to its pack leader and must be respected at all times.

Control the introduction. Start by taking your dog on a long walk. Be sure to drain all of your dog's energy. Before returning, wait at the door step; make sure your dog is in a calm-submissive state before inviting her in. Upon entering, your dog will instantly know there is a new scent in the house. If you have already introduced the scent, it will be somewhat familiar. The mother or father holding the baby must be in a completely calm state. The dog should be allowed to sniff the baby, but at a respectful distance. During this first meeting, do not bring the baby too close. Eventually, the dog can be allowed to get closer and closer to the baby. By doing this, you are teaching the dog to respect the baby as another pack leader.

Teach your baby. Once your child is in the exploratory state, it is important to supervise all interactions between him or her and the dog. This is a great opportunity to teach your child not to bother the dog, yank her tail, etc. These lessons on mutual respect cannot begin early enough. Too many children have inadvertently provoked an otherwise peaceful dog, simply because they were unsupervised or their parents had not given them proper instruction.
Don't forget the dog. A dog does not need toys or special attention to feel important; you simply need to maintain the routine, providing daily walks and consistent leadership. This will help your dog feel secure and allow her to relax about the new addition to the family.

Forget breed. Don't assume your dog will (or will not) pose a problem based on breed alone. Sure, babies have been bitten by Rottweilers and pit bulls, but they have also been injured by labs, chows, and mixed breeds. A baby in Rhode Island was killed by a cute little Pomeranian. What is the key? Leadership. Be honest with yourself. Can you control your dog at all times in all situations?

Your child's safety comes first. If, after working with a professional and on your own, you are still not 100% confident about the safety of your baby with your dog, then finding your dog another home to protect the well-being of your child and pet is a step you may have to take.

Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/yournewdog/introduce-your-dog-to-your-baby#ixzz37C6GsgNW

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I have a 10 month old and a 3 year old bully and I had similar fears as you with my 3 year old bulldog. He is a jumper, he is boisterous, and he has no idea he is 65 pounds but, honestly, I've had very few problems with him. He is VERY interested in the baby but ever-so-gentle on his approach. He wants to be near him, he wants to have my attention, but he's very polite considering! I would suggest, as others have, you get your bully in line now and start setting some boundaries. I would also spend time with your bully and let him lay with you and stuff. This might sound totally whacked out, but I FIRMLY believe my dogs knew I was pregnant and the birth wasn't a huge shock to them. Or at least less of one!

The issues I have had to deal with are more the stress of having a newborn in the house and havoc it wreaks on everyone - including my bully. He's had some tummy troubles and a few behavioral issues (he peed on our rug for the first time...ever) but other than that, I really believe a bond between infants and bulldogs exist so do what you can now and see how it goes.

OP
UKWILDCATS

UKWILDCATS

Jul 3, 2014
Thank you. I'm hoping for a very special bond between the two. Paisley is very loving and attached to pretty much everybody who has even had to sit her before.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.