Eats to fast...running out of ways of how to slow her down...

bduvallx3

May 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Maggie is five months old. We have had her since she was 11 wks. She has always eaten fast. I have tried the cookie tray idea, putting a smaller bowl upside down inside her own bowl, a rock in the center of the bowl etc etc. Nothing is working. She inhales her food within seconds. Never chewing from what I can hear. How on earth do we slow them down?? She is eating 3 times a day and sometimes she eats so fast it's like she has snorted it up her nose even. HELP!!

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
Daisy was the same way. I slowed her down a bit by adding water to her food. Now she slurps that up first & somehow it makes her seem to savor the flavors. It's free & worth a try!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Daisy was the same way. I slowed her down a bit by adding water to her food. Now she slurps that up first & somehow it makes her seem to savor the flavors. It's free & worth a try!

This is what I do with Banks too.... add a little water to the bowl.. just enought to wet the bottom and she can not inhale, she has to lick and chew to get the food up.
[MENTION=11754]bduvallx3[/MENTION]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
slow bowl.jpgThis will slow her down! Look on Jefferspet. They have others,too.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I've also heard people say put her meal in a treat ball and let her eat that way.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
The slow-feed bowls are great. I like the ball and think you could add a couple if you needed to. I also like the gizmo that Manydogs showed. I really think these would slow her down. I am so grateful Mabel is kind of a picky eater. I always worried about my bullmastiffs because they inhaled their food!

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I hand fed Goob for a LONG time. It is more time consuming but it did slow him down.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, looks like everyone already has you covered. My female Blossom does the same thing, she inhales her food, and her brother Dozer eats really slow, due to a birth defect to his jaw. I started adding water to their kibble when they were puppies because it helps both of them, it helps to make Blossom eat slower, and it makes the food a little softer for Dozer to eat. It also gives them extra water during the day, because sometimes I feel like they're not drinking enough water.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.