Collar versus harness

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston prefers to be free of his harness when inside and inside I don't feel he really needs to wear it. I really dislike collars on bulldogs because they are so strong and they usually are so thin it doesn't seem right to put that much pressure on their throats. Harnesses all the way for us! It is way easier and safe to control a bully with a harness.

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
Ellie has a narrow trachea so the vet told us to use a harness and we use that for walks. Well, when we can get her to walk. She has a collar on at home most of time. She gets very excited to wear her collar so I think it makes her feel special so she keeps it on. I did have a collar cover made so that if her tags fall off, the cover still has her name and phone numbers on it.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I used the harness today. Miss Pork chop ran like a free bird lol For months , we been using the Martin Gale collar. I decided to change , it does make a huge difference. Even though, they say , MG collar has freedom , it still can choke her especially, when she see's another dog when she pulls.

I am coming back to the harness , if she could only talk , she would say, harness! No more collar!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty has a loose collar on in the house with his tags but we always use his harness to go for walks, car rides etc. I would be too scared for him not to have some visible ID on in case the unthinkable happened and he escaped somehow. He is microchipped but I like the added security of a collar.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Monty has a loose collar on in the house with his tags but we always use his harness to go for walks, car rides etc. I would be too scared for him not to have some visible ID on in case the unthinkable happened and he escaped somehow. He is microchipped but I like the added security of a collar.

Ditto! We do this exactly! Harness are best :) more control & easier on neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KatieToth

Julius-K9 Sales Representative
Jun 7, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Noah Jack
I definitely prefer harnesses over collars, especially for bullies. We have several harnesses and I would pick the appropriate one for the day. We have one that is called the IDC belt harness, and it is one of those light harnesses although still strong. This can stay on him even if we are home and I am just letting him out to the yard. It also has the strong velcro handle, which can come in handy in certain situations. Also you can buy those cute patches for the sides. I will attach a picture of my friend's puppy in it. :)
11391728_637203486409532_63815564449760775_n.jpg

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Bruce doesn't have anything on in the house and a harness for walks. With other dogs my parents have had its always been a collar but with Bulldogs struggling to breath anyway ive always thought a collar would restrict the air flow even more especially if they was to pull.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
my babies are 'naked' in the house. They have collars, but I rarely use them.... harness for walks and car rides

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella has collars and she used to use an Easy Walk harness. My preference has always been using collars only, but I started using the EW when Bella was pulling as a puppy. Eventually, she pulled so much that she pulled herself out of the EW harness. Now, we're upping the training and I use collars only.

I used to leave her collars on in the house, but she goes naked now, after a recent hot spot on her neck.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Same here I prefer no collars inside the house. But love Julius K9 harnesses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
I've only had Bogey for a little over a week and he's been fantastic!!... He pulled quite a bit at first and I originally wanted a harness and was set out to get one. However, I was told to use the martingale collar instead. The reason being that if Bogey was to wear a harness he would pull even more because there is no reaction when using a harness. With a martingale collar, Bogey himself learns that if he walks too fast he will get a little tight around the neck and eases off. He walks next to me with a loose leash in a about a weeks time. Think about a sled dog.. These guys pull for a living and the harness allows them to do their job in a safe way without any neck constriction.... And you know how determined the bully breed is, they WILL pull... He's only 8 months old so the martingale collar for training is ideal in our situation. Bogey doesn't wear anything at home just on walks..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online