Collar versus harness

LadyVi

May 2, 2014
Northern IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Violet or Lady Vi and Bentley or Lord Bentley
Hello!! I have always kept collars on my dogs at all times with their name tags on them just in case they ever got out. We have always had Olde English Bulldogs and American Bulldogs in the past. We now have a 17 week and 9 week old English Bulldogs. My 17 week old seems to cough when I have her collar on and so I don't keep it on her. I purchased a harness for her and it came in the mail today but I only put it on her for a short time. I want her to get used to wearing it. It seems that a majority of the pictures I have seen of EBs they don't have a collar or harness on. What are your thoughts and/or experiences with collars vs. harness and keeping it on all the time or only when needed?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We use harness for walking and a collar (lose ) to hold girls tags on -with all the lose skin on their necks and the shortness of the neck i just wont use collar for walking
Also i wont let my dogs walk without the leash in fear of their safety etc

IanDK

Jun 24, 2014
Tebow has a harness for walks etc but in the house and fenced backyard he does not have anything on. The harness has a clip for the leash at the back area so you are not leading around the neck area. It also has a handle to grab which is invaluable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We do the same as Pati. English Bullys have bigger head and throats then American's and Olde English might be why most people dont keep a collar on all of the time. I dont do it because of the fear of him getting stuck on something and hurting his neck.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We use harness for walking and a collar (lose ) to hold girls tags on -with all the lose skin on their necks and the shortness of the neck i just wont use collar for walking
Also i wont let my dogs walk without the leash in fear of their safety etc

:goodpost: I agree 100%...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We do the same, we use a harness for longer walks, we use a collar with their name tags attached, for short walks, car rides, or potty breaks, but take them off when they are in the house. I think it's more comfortable for them.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I use a harness for Ruckus (I swear by the Kong harness with a "traffic loop" as they call it -- that handle on his back comes in handy every once in awhile) when we go on walks. I used to use a thick, 2 inch collar, but I felt like he wasn't super comfortable with it, especially when it was hot out. I've been planning on ordering a thin collar for him to wear loosly with his tags in conjunction with the harness, but inside the house or just outside in our courtyard, he doesn't wear anything.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance started with a collar but you could tell by the choking it was not a good idea, bought him his first harness and it was like night and day. Started puppy class and was told only the collar, by the second class the instructor said his harness would be OK and if she were to ever have another bully in class that she would recommend a harness.
We use a buddy belt and attached his tags to it. Sure makes him even more handsome and look dad no choking.

IanDK

Jun 24, 2014
[MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION]....exactly....the Kong harness is the one I use and it is perfect.

Snoopy3

Nov 5, 2010
Bristol, Connecticut, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Snoopy (RIP), Gus & Layla
We use harnesses. The Kong harness with grabby-handle was perfect for my senior girl, since she needed extra help getting up & down stairs.

But for my rambunctious boy we use a No-Pull Freedom walking harness by Wiggles, Wags and Whiskers. It has a Martingale loop on the back, as well as a connector on the front at the chest. The leash that comes with it allows you to connect in both places, so you can restrict motion & redirect at the same time.

And let me just tell you, it took me forever to finally find a "gentle leader"-type harness to fit a bulldog. Maybe because he has such a long body -- no matter what adjustments I made I could never get them to fit quite right (until now)...

B

Baxter Tiberius

English bulldogs actually have *smaller* throats than most other breeds. Not larger. At least if we are talking about the airway / trachea.

My vet showed me Baxters in comparison to another dog and it was like a pencil in width, compared to an open, wide tube on another dog.

This is why they overheat. Its why they get out of breath so easily. Its why they can sometimes turn blue tongued (lack of sufficient oxygen) and its why they choke/cough if anything is squeezing that tiny little tube (a collar).

Snoopy3

Nov 5, 2010
Bristol, Connecticut, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Snoopy (RIP), Gus & Layla
English bulldogs actually have *smaller* throats than most other breeds. Not larger. At least if we are talking about the airway / trachea.

My vet showed me Baxters in comparison to another dog and it was like a pencil in width, compared to an open, wide tube on another dog.

This is why they overheat. Its why they get out of breath so easily. Its why they can sometimes turn blue tongued (lack of sufficient oxygen) and its why they choke/cough if anything is squeezing that tiny little tube (a collar).

That is so scary, when you visualize how small their airway really is...now I will be even more paranoid about my boy!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I don't use anything when we are home or in the fenced yard and a harness for walking I do use a collar when he is at my daughters house with his tags on but this year I think I will put his tags on the harness and she can put that on him each day instead as I really do not like collars for any dogs let alone an English bulldog

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Interesting , in the K9 Citizen course the teacher said to me use a collar. I really don't like it, it seems to be doing well so far . I can see the tescher's point to help with Pork Chops issues. I am not recommending to use a collar just sharing info from the class .

I do prefer the harness for walks since we are in training mode at the moment the Martin Gale collar is getting to good use.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.