Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Default Attacked at the dog park!!!

I'll try not to pour out too much of my frustration, but I feel like everyone here is just as protective of their bully babies as I am of mine. We recently moved and live half a block from what could be (and sometimes is) an absolutely fantastic dog park! I'm talking fenced in with double gates so no one can bolt, astroturf in the middle, benches and trees for shade, water hoses, free poop bags!!! Sounds great, right? Most of the people who bring their dogs are responsible owners and only bring friendly, well-adjusted dogs. I realize dogs can play rough sometimes or have disagreements, but people bring flat out aggressive dogs -- dogs that bite and injure other dogs with little to no warning. There have been arguments at the park that I've seen where owners have requested other owners remove their aggressive dog from the situation because of current behavior or injuring another dog in the past and the requests weren't honored. I just don't understand it.

While Ruckus gets along with every person and every dog he meets, I still monitor him closely at the park, just to be safe. He was running around with the other dogs having a grand time. Then he turns to say hi to a golden retriever mix - you know, a little butt sniffing, maybe a look of hey want to play!? -- and BAM in less than a second the dog snapped and bit Ruckus on the head leaving bloody gashes. I ran over and popped the dog in the head so he would let go of Ruckus and I grabbed Ruckus -- the dog snarls, growls and lunges back. Finally, the attacking dog's owner pulls it away, still snarling and growling. Then he had the audacity to look at my bleeding bulldog and say, "well it happens at dog parks." I told him it wasn't ok, half an inch the other direction and my dog's eye would have been gone. I asked if his dog had ever bitten before and I got a vague and muddled answer, then he tried to yell some legal mumbo jumbo at me (which was totally incorrect and I told him that -- I'm an attorney, I should know) and then said "good luck if you try to call animal control." Well, I did call and report it, but I won't go into it.

I digress....so a trip to the emergency vet (had to happen on a Sunday....), shaved head patch, and an antibiotic later, I might be more shaken up than Ruckus. Moral of the story, if you take your bully to dog parks, be vigilant of aggressive dogs and irresponsible owners.-bite-2-jpg-bite-1-jpg

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Attacked at the dog park!!!

This is why i dont use one - here in cardiff uk they just open indoor one but i like to be in the control with who my girls interact and we go to a public parks instead
    I hope Ruckus is ok xxxx
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Forgot to add xSadly there are many dog owners that will spoil an otherwise good experience ;-(
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

i am glad it wasn't more serious. This is the exact reason we stopped going to dog parks as there are a few owners out of the bunch that go that are idiots and don't care. Even our vet doesn't like them as they see multiple dogs a week that come in with injuries and need to be stitched up every week.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

OMG... Exact reason I do not go to them. Too many people really are not dog savvy and think it is OK, to not pay attention when there, and some of the dogs are not trained or socialized well enough to even be in that environment.

so hope you boy heals up quick.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

I have went twice, both times it was another dog that attacked Vegas while the owner was sitting in a group chatting. Last time we went a big lab was biting his neck fat and pulling it. I got the dog away a few times then we packed up and left, never been back in 4 yrs now. I blame the owner's not the dogs. Never would I just sit and chat, I watched Vegas like a hawk the whole time. I hope Ruckus heals quickly and it's a shame this happened.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Aww poor Ruckus, I hope he's okay, and you too. We stopped going to the leash free parks for the same reasons, we had two episodes where we encountered aggressive dogs, we've had Blossoms sweater torn off her and ripped, and we always get dogs that want to hump my dogs, and especially Blossom, and the owners either don't do anything about it, or think its funny. The other reasons I don't go to the parks anymore is that I see so many piles of dog poop that people don't pick up after their dogs, and there's no excuse for it, because the city provides poop bags, and receptacles to place them in. My dogs get poor on them and come home smelly, and that got me thinking that they could pick up diseases and parasites, or worms, and even fleas, because not everybody keeps their dogs vaccinations up to date. I now take my guys to nature trails down by the river, and since we go early in the morning or in the evening, there aren't very many people and I can let them go for a run. It's unfortunate that not everybody is responsible for their dogs, and are jerks. We had one leash free park where a dog was killed, my neighbour had warned me about it, so we never went to that one. Another good place to take your dogs at this time of the year is to school yards, because school is out for the summer and is usually empty.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I have raised and sold many different kinds of animals. It didn't take long for me to learn that HUMAN'S are idiots.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fatso, Romeo
    Likes (Received)

After I got my second bulldog I stopped going to the enclosed dog parks because I felt I couldn't watch the 2 of them as closely as I would like...a bunch of unleashed big dogs made me nervous and there were a few minor altercations..I like to take my boye to different nature trails with a friend that also has a bulldog and there is a large field near my house that we walk daily that I am able to tke them off the leash because there usually isn't anyone else there

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry that this happened to your baby… I do NOT like dog parks for the same reasons everyone has listed. People are MORONS and want to sit & chat… while their dogs are mauling other dogs. It's ridiculous… and I agree it seems like the MOST aggressive dogs are always at the dog parks. I avoid them period...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

This is one reason I do not take Elmo or my other dogs to a park because of some of the stupid idiot owners that let their aggressive dogs run wild. T Pray Your Precious Ruckus is going to be ok. LOL to Ruckus.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Lynn, you have hit the nail on the head, humans are idiots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads