cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Today I took the day off from work and had the opportunity to take Tate and Finn to a new day camp nearby. Since they're both new, the facility has them go thru an "assessment" with the other dogs before having a full play day.

When I arrived to the day camp, Finn immediately "hid" in one of the car seats and wouldn't come out. He just snuggled into the seat and was determined to stay there. When I opened the door to the side he was sitting on, he immediately jumped into another seat. He obviously did not want to come out. Tate, on the other hand, was eager to get out of the car and play! I finally had to physically force Finn out of the car. When we got inside Finn was shaking all over and very nervous. I explained this to the day care owner and she suggested that after the assessment, and if it all went well, I leave Finn there for an hour or two so he will get used to the facility. Both boys did fine during the assessment and I watched them thru the glass and looked like they were having a good time.

I guess my question is, did I do the right thing by "forcing" Finn to go to day camp even when he seemed scared and nervous? Will he become more traumatized by this or will he possibly grow to enjoy going there, the more often he attends? I want Finn to be more socialized with other dogs and people. Unlike Tate, he's much more shy and I think he prefers to just hang out at home if he could.

Thank-you!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hmm thats a tough one , how did Finn acted when you picked him up?
Maybe it is worth trying taking him one more time and see if he is acting same way?

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Hmmm, I don't know as I never did day camp for mine but...is there an online camera that you can watch to see how he's doing when you aren't around?

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe it is worth trying taking him one more time and see if he is acting same way?

thanks Pati. I just picked up the two of them; as I peered thru the glass window to see what they were up to, it was a funny sight. ALL the dogs, there were maybe 5 in total, PLUS the attendant, were piled on the floor and just chilling. It was a rather funny sight. I was told that Tate played a little bit with one of the dogs but Finn mainly observed and didn't participate much. I really like this place; it's clean, well run, friendly/warm, and very close to home. I will take your advice and take Finn again next time and see how he reacts. He's reacted this way before when he went to the Pet Smart day camp (not wanting to get out of car). It's just interesting how he KNOWS.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmmm, I don't know as I never did day camp for mine but...is there an online camera that you can watch to see how he's doing when you aren't around?

I don't know if there is or not. I can watch what they're doing thru a glass window tho, but of course, i have to be there to do it. I will have to ask about the camera-thing next time.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
thanks Pati. I just picked up the two of them; as I peered thru the glass window to see what they were up to, it was a funny sight. ALL the dogs, there were maybe 5 in total, PLUS the attendant, were piled on the floor and just chilling. It was a rather funny sight. I was told that Tate played a little bit with one of the dogs but Finn mainly observed and didn't participate much. I really like this place; it's clean, well run, friendly/warm, and very close to home. I will take your advice and take Finn again next time and see how he reacts. He's reacted this way before when he went to the Pet Smart day camp (not wanting to get out of car). It's just interesting how he KNOWS.

Sadly they can be little characters ;-) i had a foster like this -on the end we decided not to put him through it and we had visitors in our backyard :-) his ground xxx
I hope next time he be much better xxxx
Im more wary recently with my girls interacting with other dogs as each tine they brought something nasty home lol

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL

Agree, how did he act when you picked him up???

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Having worked at a dog daycare for four years, I can tell you a lot of the Bulldogs that came in just sat and watched the other dogs all day. Owners would say, whenever I check the camera, he is just sitting off to the side. I would tell them, that is what he does all day, he/she watches over the crowd and takes it all in. I got a talkin to once for telling an owner he was wasting his money. :D. We had some dogs that were also like Finn... Did not want to be dropped off, but once inside... Whoa, it was on!

I agree with Pati... Check for an online camera for you to view and try one more time. If he is too stressed, it is not worth doing it, just take Tate and let Finn chill at home.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Agree, how did he act when you picked him up???

he acted happy/excited to be going home. They both were like that. I think Finn especially just loves being in his own, familiar surroundings. But I like getting them out of the house every now and then b/c they're cooped up here all week and I want them to experience new things.

Both of 'em are sound asleep, snoring right now!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Very interesting info [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]! I will take your advice too; I don't want to over-stress Finn as it may make him more neurotic than he already is.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I think some just like to be by themselves. Even when we are home during the day, BeBe will prefer to go to her room and just chill in her crate, where it is quiet.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I think some just like to be by themselves. Even when we are home during the day, BeBe will prefer to go to her room and just chill in her crate, where it is quiet.

sort of like us humans, right?! Some are more extroverted, others more of the loner variety. Good point, David. I need to respect Finn's personality/needs, I think, and listen to the cues he is giving me rather than force what i want on him. He does love to just play with his football and lay under the bed, or chase that dang varsity ball of his all around. He's so funny.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone else on this one Henny… just like kids personalities. Some LOVE to play w/other kids, and some (like my son) would just rather observe the action from the sidelines. I don't think that means that he HATES it, he's just more observant than a participant. Maybe give it another go and see if he acts excited when you drop him off...

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
How's Finn doing?? Did you take him back to day care? I take Patton to day care every day Monday through Friday and on the weekends he sits at the garage door waiting to be taken to the car and driven to day care! From what they tell me he plays all day with everyone. :) Either way I hope he's having fun!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
How's Finn doing?? Did you take him back to day care? I take Patton to day care every day Monday through Friday and on the weekends he sits at the garage door waiting to be taken to the car and driven to day care! From what they tell me he plays all day with everyone. :) Either way I hope he's having fun!

hey Desiree, I haven't taken the boys back to daycare. I was thinking I might do it this Saturday for a few hours. Tate I know will be happy to attend and I'll see how Finn's reaction in the car is. If he shows resistance again like before, I won't bring him inside.

Wow, Patton sure does love day care, doesn't he?! that's so cute how he waits in the garage to go. He must have tons of fun there with all of his friends!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.