Does your bully like fireworks?

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
I'm kinda worried about my Chubbs tonight...any advice or tips on how to keep the baby calm???

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Air conditioned room with dog tv turned up. Sure fire winner!

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
good lap, reassuring words, a treat or three, make it a game turn it into a fun night so in the future it does not bother them.

OP
Chubby

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION].. [MENTION=11086]schimpfy[/MENTION]...
That sounds like a great idea...

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=11185]Chubby[/MENTION], and don't forget lots of hugs 'n kisses! that's likely a given already tho.

Turning up the TV or radio is a good idea. I don't like the sound of those loud bangs myself. I think 4th of July rattles lots of nerves, pets and humans alike and as much as I do love this holiday, I'm not too crazy about the loud fireworks and idiots shooting off their guns in the air. Stay inside and be safe!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus has been pacing the house and my neighbors started with their display and frankie went nuts. He was barking and growling running to every window and panting heavily. I gave him and brutus half of a doggie xanax and both are now resting comfortably. I was hoping not to use it as brutus never had a reaction but this is frankies first 4th with us and he was a mess therefore making brutus nervous.

OP
Chubby

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]...What is doggie xanax???

OP
Chubby

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]...we are definitely staying in but the noise will be all around us...have a great evening♡

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
I was wondering about this, too. There is a week long festival here ending with a very impressive fireworks display tomorrow night. The show is across the street from our house - we can see it from our backyard. It is SUPER loud in our house. I thought about having Archie out with us & just sitting on my lap. The other option is downstairs in our rec room inside his crate. I could play music on the iPod to help diffuse the fireworks, but it'll still be loud. What's the best option?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am, right now doing this... In basement with TV loud... Both are sound asleep and the booming is going off -- neither of them are reacting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I would love to know about the doggy Xanax too!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]...What is doggie xanax???
Acepromazine is like a xanax for doggies. The vet gave it to when after brutus was in the hospital to calm him down. I never used it before last night. Brutus calmed right down and went to sleep. I had to put frankie in his crate, covered, with the tv set loud with music on. My poor guy.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well it's the morning after now… Lol

We had a BBQ yesterday, and my friend brought her chocolate lab Charlie ( Roxie's BF) anyhoo… we were watching a movie w/Marcus & the dogs were so worn out from having Charlie here they slept thru the whole thing. It's UNREAL here in TN, they started the fireworks around 7pm, and they were still going off around 1am :ohmy:

LordNelson

May 28, 2014
Austin, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
The 4th was my first night with Nelson and Fireworks. He handled them like a champ.
I made sure to be home and do kinda normal stuff, so everything felt "in routine".

As the fireworks started, he dozed quietly on his bed in my home-office. He got up a couple of times when
some fireworks went off seeming overhead, but I tossed him a snack on his bed, and he ate it and went back to dozing.

I have seen other dogs (normally calm) completely freak out/hyperventilate during fireworks, so I don't know if this is a
learned behaviour, or an ancestral one. My plan was to basically stay calm and do things as normal -- but I honestly don't know if that works for all dogs.

I'm glad that his Lordship (Nelson) keeps a calm demeanor at all times (aside from when chasing rabbits).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.