RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Questions: our 2 male puppies are 14 weeks old. When do you have them neutered? With this being said since we do plan on the surgery why register the pups with AKC or whatever group? We really don't care about the family tree or etc. Would you have both of them done at the same time? We had a Frenchie that passed away a few months ago after having him seven years. It has been so long I cannot remember the cost to have the neuter procedure. Anyone know ballpark price. And finally microchip. We had our Olde English and Frenchie both Microchipped. Any ballpark on the chip price? Thanks for the help

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
As far as microchip cost Ive seen prices anywhere between 15-50 dollars. They tend to be more expensive at the vet. I usually go to low cost vaccination clinics to get those done.

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
Questions: our 2 male puppies are 14 weeks old. When do you have them neutered? With this being said since we do plan on the surgery why register the pups with AKC or whatever group? We really don't care about the family tree or etc. Would you have both of them done at the same time? We had a Frenchie that passed away a few months ago after having him seven years. It has been so long I cannot remember the cost to have the neuter procedure. Anyone know ballpark price. And finally microchip. We had our Olde English and Frenchie both Microchipped. Any ballpark on the chip price? Thanks for the help

I will just pass on what my vet told me when I recently took my 6 month old in for the old snip snip. She recommended that due to the inherent joint issues that bulldogs face, it would be best to wait until at least 8-9 months to have it done. Her reasoning is that he will gain the most amount of muscle during this initial puberty phase, and snipping him prematurely would not allow for proper development. She said the only reason to do it any earlier is for behavioral/aggression issues. I am going to probably wait until he hits the 50lb mark or so to ensure that the proper muscular development has occurred.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It can be done anytime after 6-8 months... We did our boys at 8 months with chip at same time. Sorry I can not re bet the costs, but I tagged two members in Tennessee that might have an idea of costs near you

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't know the costs of neuter here in our area of TN because I didn't have Winston neutered. I would personally wait till they are a bit older like the others advised...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome:There are not many members here from Tn! As it is everywhere, costs vary from Veterinarian to Vn. I micro chip my own, but I think most vets charge about $25.00.
As far as neutering-I don't know your location-so just give a Vet. near you a call just for getting an idea. Then see if you can locate an experienced Bullie Vet.
Personally, I think it a good idea to have them both neutered at the same time. If you have a good vet, neutering is no big deal(to the dog.....the owner is the problem!!:yes:)

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Bocephus was neutered at around 6 months or so, he came through just great and, trust me, in absolutely no way has it affected his growth.

OP
RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Spoke to the vets office today about neuter cost. This is the breakdown:
Neuter $115.00
Microchip $46.00
Blood work and IV $100.00
Total $261.00 times 2= $522.00
I didn't understand the blood work and IV. I do think I will wait until their 8 or 9 months old. We are taking the boys to Hilton Head in October and if their going to hunch something it's best to do it out of state.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Those prices seem pretty high to me! Out of sight for the micro chip.They pay 10.or less a piece for the microchip. If you want to send me your address, I can send you 2 for 20.00 and you can do it yourself. [MENTION=12277]RalphieBoy[/MENTION]

OP
RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
OMG No. I'm too chicken. Thanks for the offer. I clipped our Olde English toenail with the clipper 10 years ago and hit to close, drew blood and never clipped another nail again. Thanks anyway. I do appreciate the offer. Any idea on the blood work and IV?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
No, I've never had that done before surgery,and I've had ALL the dogs in my lifetime fixed and/or neutered! [MENTION=12277]RalphieBoy[/MENTION]

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We only did the blood work and heart mapping to have a baseline for the future. Other than that it really isn't necessary. As for the IV usually that is to administer meds and other fluids during the procedure so i would do that. Either way you are getting off cheap. Bully neutering by me runs $350 to $550 depending on if you have the blood work and heart mapping done and spaying a female is $550 to $850.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Ralph, you can do the neuter surgery anywhere after 6 months of age. We spayed and neutered our guys at the age of 7 months, before Blossom went into heat, because I have a male and female, siblings, and couldn't keep them separate.
Im not sure what the prices are for microchipping, as my guys were done by the breeder before we bought them. I'm also not sure what the prices for neutering is in the United States. I live in Canada, and spay surgery here was about $400, and the neuter surgery was about $295. You don't need to register your bully if you are not going to show them. If they are a pet and part of the family, no need to pay to register them with the AKC. We were given the option for IV fluids or not, and we chose to add the IV fluids, it was about $45 extra, but is better for your dog not just for adding the pain medications without having to re-poke him each time, but it's a good idea for providing extra fluids during and after surgery.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.