Outside question

Bellas Mommy

Jan 9, 2011
Grand Blanc, Mi
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello,

I pick up my little girl on the 21st she will be 6wks old. I live in Michigan and its cold here being that its winter and all. So in terms of potty training should I train her on a puppy pad or should I start taking her outside? I'm just concerned about training her on puppy pads cause I dont want her going back to that spot all the time. Thanks for any advice.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We are in north-east ohio, so I'd say our weather is probably as cold as yours is. We have always trained our dogs to go outside. I know it's very cold but they usually do their pees and poops quick and RUN back inside the house. I've never used the puppy pads, but there may be others on here who have and could give you more advice on using them.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
we got Chester in the winter and the breeder said to train him inside so that he wouldn't catch cold and run into respiratory issues. That being said, I was also worried about him never wanting to go outside, so I did it for about a week and then started taking him outside. It was always quick in and quick out though.

OP
Bellas Mommy

Bellas Mommy

Jan 9, 2011
Grand Blanc, Mi
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you. I really like the ease of training them on the puppy pad being that I have a 15month old that I have to get dressed to go outside everytime she has to go potty. But I just didnt want issues later down the line. My breeder said too to wait till after her 2nd shots.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you. I really like the ease of training them on the puppy pad being that I have a 15month old that I have to get dressed to go outside everytime she has to go potty. But I just didnt want issues later down the line. My breeder said too to wait till after her 2nd shots.

I would wait to take her outside in the cold, she will be very very young still. I trained Yuna and Tidus with a litter box. Yep, they make dog litter boxes too, and you can get these at petsmart. The plus is that they learn really quick to use it.

So yep, I think you will have to train twice for the overall health and safety of your pup.

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
i take guinness (8 weeks old) outside to go the bathroom and he has been fine so far. We have been in the singe digits and teens for temp but doesn't seem to bother him. We put a sweater or fleece on him and he loves it. plays in the snow, etc... usually it is quick out and in. His feet hit the snow and he goes right away and then plays.

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Don't have to deal with snow down here, so no advice...but good luck and cannot wait to hear how it goes and to see some pics.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
WOW 6 weeks old.. Id be scared to take the pup away from mom... Law here in Ca is that you can not sell a pup under the age of 8 weeks old.... the breeders I know usually keep their pups til 9 to 10 weeks.. Anyways I would not take that small of a pup outside yet.. Maybe do potty pads or newspaper for a few weeks, and then make sure to get a sweater for the little thing.. Is she even going to have any shots?

Bullyhoo

Aug 10, 2010
Hello! All 3 of mine were Winter babies and were trained on pee pads til about 12 weeks and they were never any problems transferring them to going outside. They did not continue to go in the spot were the pad was. Hope this helps if you go that route!

Congrats on your new addition!!

OP
Bellas Mommy

Bellas Mommy

Jan 9, 2011
Grand Blanc, Mi
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
WOW 6 weeks old.. Id be scared to take the pup away from mom... Law here in Ca is that you can not sell a pup under the age of 8 weeks old.... the breeders I know usually keep their pups til 9 to 10 weeks.. Anyways I would not take that small of a pup outside yet.. Maybe do potty pads or newspaper for a few weeks, and then make sure to get a sweater for the little thing.. Is she even going to have any shots?

Yes she is getting her 1st shots on the 20th. Shes eating wet dog food real good and there still nursing between feedings. My wonderful neighbor is the breeder so shes just down the hall if the puppy needs to go back for any reason. Or if I have any problems.

Bullyhoo-Thank you. So did you have to take the pad like outside or something when you transitationed them?

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
This is my first EBD. But I had a Great Dane before.
They are very susceptible to cold weather too.
I took Kizer outside from day one. Granted it
doesn't get as cold here in Arkansas but we
do have our cold days as well. Its 20 and snowing
right now.

I took Jozi out earlier and she did her business
and jetted right back into the warm house. So
IMHO I would take them out. Its not like you
are throwing them out there for hours on end.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I did just the opposite as you are, Bella's Mommy. I brought Gertie home at 6 weeks in July and I live in Az. So it was so hot, that's our "nasty weather". I just had to be careful, not stay out too long. Good luck with your new baby. She sure is a cutie!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
If you do choose to use the potty pads, you could start moving it towards the door as she perfects hitting the pad, then it wouldn't be such a big transition to head for the door when you teach her to go outside.

OP
Bellas Mommy

Bellas Mommy

Jan 9, 2011
Grand Blanc, Mi
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
bfletch-This is also my 1st eb also and very 1st puppy. I use to have a rat terrier I got her when she was a yr old and she was tiny only 10lbs compared to what bella will be. She loved the snow too most of the time she just sank down due to the snow being taller then her. lol I think what Ill do is the 1st 2 weeks till she gets her 2nd set of shots will keep her inside unless we have a warmer day out using puppy pads. Then start taking her outside.

Also another question we want to go up north to my inlaws in march and she will be 3-4 months old but they keep there house pretty warm. Way to warm for me they have a fire place and a wood burning stove on all the time. What I have read is its not good for them to be in heat. They have a huge german shepard there that does fine in the heat with his long coat but I know there different then the bulldogs are. we will only be there for 3-4 days so didnt know if it would be too much with the heat.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and help im so excited cant wait to bring her home.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
we used potty pads and lex wouldnt ever use them he would go around it lol... we brought lex home when he was 6 weeks and he has been fine ever since. i've always heard you can take them at 6 weeks that its not a problem

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.