Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outside question

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Outside question

Hello,

I pick up my little girl on the 21st she will be 6wks old. I live in Michigan and its cold here being that its winter and all. So in terms of potty training should I train her on a puppy pad or should I start taking her outside? I'm just concerned about training her on puppy pads cause I dont want her going back to that spot all the time. Thanks for any advice.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Outside question

We are in north-east ohio, so I'd say our weather is probably as cold as yours is. We have always trained our dogs to go outside. I know it's very cold but they usually do their pees and poops quick and RUN back inside the house. I've never used the puppy pads, but there may be others on here who have and could give you more advice on using them.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

we got Chester in the winter and the breeder said to train him inside so that he wouldn't catch cold and run into respiratory issues. That being said, I was also worried about him never wanting to go outside, so I did it for about a week and then started taking him outside. It was always quick in and quick out though.
    It's a Bully thing <3

When the bully was created, it licked the hand of God and God stroked its head, saying, "What do you want, baby bully?" It replied, "My Lord, I want to stay with you, in heaven, on a mat in front of the gate."

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Thank you. I really like the ease of training them on the puppy pad being that I have a 15month old that I have to get dressed to go outside everytime she has to go potty. But I just didnt want issues later down the line. My breeder said too to wait till after her 2nd shots.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bellas Mommy View Post
    Thank you. I really like the ease of training them on the puppy pad being that I have a 15month old that I have to get dressed to go outside everytime she has to go potty. But I just didnt want issues later down the line. My breeder said too to wait till after her 2nd shots.
    I would wait to take her outside in the cold, she will be very very young still. I trained Yuna and Tidus with a litter box. Yep, they make dog litter boxes too, and you can get these at petsmart. The plus is that they learn really quick to use it.

So yep, I think you will have to train twice for the overall health and safety of your pup.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

i take guinness (8 weeks old) outside to go the bathroom and he has been fine so far. We have been in the singe digits and teens for temp but doesn't seem to bother him. We put a sweater or fleece on him and he loves it. plays in the snow, etc... usually it is quick out and in. His feet hit the snow and he goes right away and then plays.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Brodie
    Likes (Received)

Don't have to deal with snow down here, so no advice...but good luck and cannot wait to hear how it goes and to see some pics.
    I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
    Likes (Received)

WOW 6 weeks old.. Id be scared to take the pup away from mom... Law here in Ca is that you can not sell a pup under the age of 8 weeks old.... the breeders I know usually keep their pups til 9 to 10 weeks.. Anyways I would not take that small of a pup outside yet.. Maybe do potty pads or newspaper for a few weeks, and then make sure to get a sweater for the little thing.. Is she even going to have any shots?

Hello! All 3 of mine were Winter babies and were trained on pee pads til about 12 weeks and they were never any problems transferring them to going outside. They did not continue to go in the spot were the pad was. Hope this helps if you go that route!

Congrats on your new addition!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    WOW 6 weeks old.. Id be scared to take the pup away from mom... Law here in Ca is that you can not sell a pup under the age of 8 weeks old.... the breeders I know usually keep their pups til 9 to 10 weeks.. Anyways I would not take that small of a pup outside yet.. Maybe do potty pads or newspaper for a few weeks, and then make sure to get a sweater for the little thing.. Is she even going to have any shots?

Yes she is getting her 1st shots on the 20th. Shes eating wet dog food real good and there still nursing between feedings. My wonderful neighbor is the breeder so shes just down the hall if the puppy needs to go back for any reason. Or if I have any problems.

Bullyhoo-Thank you. So did you have to take the pad like outside or something when you transitationed them?

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jozi, Wales
    Likes (Received)

This is my first EBD. But I had a Great Dane before.
    They are very susceptible to cold weather too.
    I took Kizer outside from day one. Granted it
    doesn't get as cold here in Arkansas but we
    do have our cold days as well. Its 20 and snowing
    right now.

I took Jozi out earlier and she did her business
    and jetted right back into the warm house. So
    IMHO I would take them out. Its not like you
    are throwing them out there for hours on end.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

I did just the opposite as you are, Bella's Mommy. I brought Gertie home at 6 weeks in July and I live in Az. So it was so hot, that's our "nasty weather". I just had to be careful, not stay out too long. Good luck with your new baby. She sure is a cutie!

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads