Outside question

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
with my first two ebs i used potty pads EXCLUSIVELY until they were completely finished with their puppy shots, about 3-4 months old. I was paranoid about letting them outside since parvo can live in the soil for up to two years and i lived in a condominium complex so i didn't know what dogs/diseases had come and gone through there. i did not have a problem with them returning to that area to potty after i had transitioned to taking them outside to potty. (this is true for my boy, the girl was untrainable and i had her in diapers she would just pee whenever/where ever she felt the need to) i actually strongly recommend peepee pads because if they are going to have an accident in the house it is easy to clean up!

as long as you are outside with your puppy and don't stay outside for any longer than it takes to do her business, she should be fine. [MENTION=925]wfd38383[/MENTION] put's their baby in cute sweaters and i think that is a cute and good idea! especially for your cold climates.

like [MENTION=18]Pendragon[/MENTION] said, i am also concerned about the breeder letting the puppy go at 6 weeks. typically 8 weeks is the safe age to be separated from mom and the litter with out causing the puppy to have behavioral issues later on. i know you said it is your friend or neighbor though, so that is good. Staying with the momma and the littermates for 8 weeks is important for several reasons, and the two most important are these:
1. the puppy learns social skills and communication techniques from interacting with the other pups and the mother. they learn about playing, boundaries, and "pack manners". these interactions make training much easier for you in the future.
2. puppies receive very important antibodies and nutrients from the momma's milk, just like human babies. the puppy needs these antibodies to build up a strong immune system.

hope that helps!

Bullyhoo

Aug 10, 2010
Sorry, just checking in again! No-- we didn't have to take the pads outside. I just pointed at the ground and always used the same phrase "do your business". Once they actually went I cheered and gave treats like a maniac :) :) The neighbors must have thought I was nuts! :p But it worked!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hello,

I pick up my little girl on the 21st she will be 6wks old. I live in Michigan and its cold here being that its winter and all. So in terms of potty training should I train her on a puppy pad or should I start taking her outside? I'm just concerned about training her on puppy pads cause I dont want her going back to that spot all the time. Thanks for any advice.

[MENTION=1689]Bellas Mommy[/MENTION] Not long now .. I bet you are SO excited!!! :up:

Members online

No members online now.