Thread: Outside question

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Outside question

If you do choose to use the potty pads, you could start moving it towards the door as she perfects hitting the pad, then it wouldn't be such a big transition to head for the door when you teach her to go outside.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

bfletch-This is also my 1st eb also and very 1st puppy. I use to have a rat terrier I got her when she was a yr old and she was tiny only 10lbs compared to what bella will be. She loved the snow too most of the time she just sank down due to the snow being taller then her. lol I think what Ill do is the 1st 2 weeks till she gets her 2nd set of shots will keep her inside unless we have a warmer day out using puppy pads. Then start taking her outside.

Also another question we want to go up north to my inlaws in march and she will be 3-4 months old but they keep there house pretty warm. Way to warm for me they have a fire place and a wood burning stove on all the time. What I have read is its not good for them to be in heat. They have a huge german shepard there that does fine in the heat with his long coat but I know there different then the bulldogs are. we will only be there for 3-4 days so didnt know if it would be too much with the heat.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and help im so excited cant wait to bring her home.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

we used potty pads and lex wouldnt ever use them he would go around it lol... we brought lex home when he was 6 weeks and he has been fine ever since. i've always heard you can take them at 6 weeks that its not a problem

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Butler
    Likes (Received)

with my first two ebs i used potty pads EXCLUSIVELY until they were completely finished with their puppy shots, about 3-4 months old. I was paranoid about letting them outside since parvo can live in the soil for up to two years and i lived in a condominium complex so i didn't know what dogs/diseases had come and gone through there. i did not have a problem with them returning to that area to potty after i had transitioned to taking them outside to potty. (this is true for my boy, the girl was untrainable and i had her in diapers she would just pee whenever/where ever she felt the need to) i actually strongly recommend peepee pads because if they are going to have an accident in the house it is easy to clean up!

as long as you are outside with your puppy and don't stay outside for any longer than it takes to do her business, she should be fine. @wfd38383 put's their baby in cute sweaters and i think that is a cute and good idea! especially for your cold climates.

like @Pendragon said, i am also concerned about the breeder letting the puppy go at 6 weeks. typically 8 weeks is the safe age to be separated from mom and the litter with out causing the puppy to have behavioral issues later on. i know you said it is your friend or neighbor though, so that is good. Staying with the momma and the littermates for 8 weeks is important for several reasons, and the two most important are these:
    1. the puppy learns social skills and communication techniques from interacting with the other pups and the mother. they learn about playing, boundaries, and "pack manners". these interactions make training much easier for you in the future.
    2. puppies receive very important antibodies and nutrients from the momma's milk, just like human babies. the puppy needs these antibodies to build up a strong immune system.

hope that helps!

Sorry, just checking in again! No-- we didn't have to take the pads outside. I just pointed at the ground and always used the same phrase "do your business". Once they actually went I cheered and gave treats like a maniac The neighbors must have thought I was nuts! :p But it worked!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellas Mommy View Post
    Hello,

I pick up my little girl on the 21st she will be 6wks old. I live in Michigan and its cold here being that its winter and all. So in terms of potty training should I train her on a puppy pad or should I start taking her outside? I'm just concerned about training her on puppy pads cause I dont want her going back to that spot all the time. Thanks for any advice.
    @Bellas Mommy Not long now .. I bet you are SO excited!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads