Probably a stupid question, but collars?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I only use a harness when walking or going to the vet, two reasons, no choking and better control of Vegas. At home he goes naked. He only goes out to the back yard to potty and I have a 6 ft. privacy fence surrounding my yard.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
Ahh thank you. This does help. Hopefully I'll be getting her one tomorrow because she has her vet visit Tuesday for second round of shots. I like the idea of a loop at the top because she sometimes does not seem the sturdiest going up and down stairs. Not a problem usually but today with the rain and the slick steps I was nervous and held on to her walking down. Would be easy to throw the harness on and have that handle handy. I'm sure her mobility will improve as she gets used to life outside the cage. She actually started running today.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I've been looking at harness also and haven't decided on one yet. I don't like the clip part way down their back because Henry's still a pup and I can't keep control very well. I am liking the easy walk harness because the clip in in from of their chest and seems like I could control him and also that I can make sure he walks beside me and not in front. Am I thinking right? [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've been looking at harness also and haven't decided on one yet. I don't like the clip part way down their back because Henry's still a pup and I can't keep control very well. I am liking the easy walk harness because the clip in in from of their chest and seems like I could control him and also that I can make sure he walks beside me and not in front. Am I thinking right? @2BullyMama

yes, the leash clips in the front and it self-corrects the dog to not pull and stay next to you. Make sure it is adjusted and fitted correctly or it will not work right. I have to turn Cheli's upside down becasue he is between sizes. Also, I heard you can get half-sizes on their website, but not at the stores.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
yes, the leash clips in the front and it self-corrects the dog to not pull and stay next to you. Make sure it is adjusted and fitted correctly or it will not work right. I have to turn Cheli's upside down becasue he is between sizes. Also, I heard you can get half-sizes on their website, but not at the stores.

Thank you. I will take him to try some on. I'm happy to finally have a plan, 5 months later!! Ha.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
We have both harnesses and collars. We use the martingale collars for quick pee breaks and when we take the dogs to training and agility classes (harnesses not allowed). We use the harnesses for longer walks and when we need to use the seat belt style leashes for the car.
If you get a martingale collar, make sure you get one with a snap buckle, not just the one that slips over the head.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
I ended up getting her the Kong with the loop at the top. So far I like it, but I think when we start really training I'll go with a front clip harness. She is very stubborn and if she doesn't want to go she won't go. Lol It's mainly at night when her vision starts getting low in the dim light.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Is there a particular harness that works best for their body types? I've always had lean mid size breeds, and she may be a little on the skinny side right now she is definitely not lean. Lol I may get her a collar just for some bling when we go out, but I really do think it wouldn't be good for more than decoration.

I always say I swear by the Kong Harness with the "traffic loop" handle. You can latch it on the front or back and it's super adjustable. I've tried other harnesses, but they just weren't as effective or comfortable for him....he's a puller so it took some trial and error. For example, I like to say that he easy walked right out of his easy walk harness...luckily he doesn't bolt.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
I always say I swear by the Kong Harness with the "traffic loop" handle. You can latch it on the front or back and it's super adjustable. I've tried other harnesses, but they just weren't as effective or comfortable for him....he's a puller so it took some trial and error. For example, I like to say that he easy walked right out of his easy walk harness...luckily he doesn't bolt.

I haven't seen where you can hook it in the front. I'll have to try that when I put it on her tomorrow.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I haven't seen where you can hook it in the front. I'll have to try that when I put it on her tomorrow.

I'm not sure it's meant to be hooked in the front, but most of the time we hook his leash on the metal part that connects the neck piece to the chest piece. It gives us a lot more control over him.

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
I use a harness for going out and a collar for in the house.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Goob doesn't wear a collar I didn't like the grooves it put in his coat when he was a puppy. When we walk he has a choke chain. If we take him on a car ride or to the park, we use the chain to walk him but also have his harness on him in case we need to pick him up quickly.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.