Probably a stupid question, but collars?

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
How in the world do you fit a collar for a bully? Her neck is wider than her head and I'm thinking the collar would just slip right off. Do you use Martingale collars, or maybe even a harness? When I pick her up I have to watch where my arm is around her neck. She seems to only be able to breath well in certain positions so I wonder if a collar is even a good idea.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We use harness mostly... collars just, to me, are for 'dress up' and not used for walking. Too much stress on the neck and breathing for them as it is so I perfer not to add to it. I do but a large and then fit it to her neck... it is really only used to hold her tags when we leave the house

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
We use a harness on our bullies. Both Jewel and Bentley pull (bad puppies) and a collar around the neck would restrict their breathing even more.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Mine wear collars but only when we go for a walk or vet etc... we actually slip them over their heads! My girls aren't runners, they don't pull when walking on the leash so it works for us. Since yours seems to have breathing difficulties I'd definitely go for the harness just to be safe and make your baby comfortable.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We only use a collar to hold her tags when we are out. Her leash is always connected to her harness.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
Is there a particular harness that works best for their body types? I've always had lean mid size breeds, and she may be a little on the skinny side right now she is definitely not lean. Lol I may get her a collar just for some bling when we go out, but I really do think it wouldn't be good for more than decoration.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When Castor was very small we had a collar but now when he's more than a year, harness works best although we tried martingale collar for a while too. We now have a Lupine step-in harness which is very easy to put on.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We use harness for walking and lose collar to hold girls dog tags x i always worry about their necks

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is there a particular harness that works best for their body types? I've always had lean mid size breeds, and she may be a little on the skinny side right now she is definitely not lean. Lol I may get her a collar just for some bling when we go out, but I really do think it wouldn't be good for more than decoration.

there are a few that people really like -- I'll try to find the thread that has them in it

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I think this is the thread, but I will keep looking http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?37387-Harness-Suggestions&highlight=harness

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
I use a harness for walking, and use a choke chain collar only for holding their id tags.

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
I need to have head control when walking my guy so I use the Martingale style leash. It loosens until you jerk on it. I can't imagine having no head control with my guy, he'd never pay attention.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online