Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Probably a stupid question, but collars?

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member tyree213's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert,Scarlet, Tyra, & Kevin
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Probably a stupid question, but collars?

I use a harness for walking, and use a choke chain collar only for holding their id tags.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bronson
    Likes (Received)

I need to have head control when walking my guy so I use the Martingale style leash. It loosens until you jerk on it. I can't imagine having no head control with my guy, he'd never pay attention.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    And here's another thread where I asked about suggestions for harnesses! http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?34947-Advice-on-new-harness-please
    That is the thread I was thinking of.... Thank you. @hbwright ^^^^^
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

I only use a harness when walking or going to the vet, two reasons, no choking and better control of Vegas. At home he goes naked. He only goes out to the back yard to potty and I have a 6 ft. privacy fence surrounding my yard.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Margot
    Likes (Received)

Ahh thank you. This does help. Hopefully I'll be getting her one tomorrow because she has her vet visit Tuesday for second round of shots. I like the idea of a loop at the top because she sometimes does not seem the sturdiest going up and down stairs. Not a problem usually but today with the rain and the slick steps I was nervous and held on to her walking down. Would be easy to throw the harness on and have that handle handy. I'm sure her mobility will improve as she gets used to life outside the cage. She actually started running today.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

I've been looking at harness also and haven't decided on one yet. I don't like the clip part way down their back because Henry's still a pup and I can't keep control very well. I am liking the easy walk harness because the clip in in from of their chest and seems like I could control him and also that I can make sure he walks beside me and not in front. Am I thinking right? @2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Roseann View Post
    I've been looking at harness also and haven't decided on one yet. I don't like the clip part way down their back because Henry's still a pup and I can't keep control very well. I am liking the easy walk harness because the clip in in from of their chest and seems like I could control him and also that I can make sure he walks beside me and not in front. Am I thinking right? @2BullyMama
    yes, the leash clips in the front and it self-corrects the dog to not pull and stay next to you. Make sure it is adjusted and fitted correctly or it will not work right. I have to turn Cheli's upside down becasue he is between sizes. Also, I heard you can get half-sizes on their website, but not at the stores.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    yes, the leash clips in the front and it self-corrects the dog to not pull and stay next to you. Make sure it is adjusted and fitted correctly or it will not work right. I have to turn Cheli's upside down becasue he is between sizes. Also, I heard you can get half-sizes on their website, but not at the stores.
    Thank you. I will take him to try some on. I'm happy to finally have a plan, 5 months later!! Ha.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leo & Lola
    Likes (Received)

We have both harnesses and collars. We use the martingale collars for quick pee breaks and when we take the dogs to training and agility classes (harnesses not allowed). We use the harnesses for longer walks and when we need to use the seat belt style leashes for the car.
    If you get a martingale collar, make sure you get one with a snap buckle, not just the one that slips over the head.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Margot
    Likes (Received)

I ended up getting her the Kong with the loop at the top. So far I like it, but I think when we start really training I'll go with a front clip harness. She is very stubborn and if she doesn't want to go she won't go. Lol It's mainly at night when her vision starts getting low in the dim light.

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hbwright View Post
    Is there a particular harness that works best for their body types? I've always had lean mid size breeds, and she may be a little on the skinny side right now she is definitely not lean. Lol I may get her a collar just for some bling when we go out, but I really do think it wouldn't be good for more than decoration.
    I always say I swear by the Kong Harness with the "traffic loop" handle. You can latch it on the front or back and it's super adjustable. I've tried other harnesses, but they just weren't as effective or comfortable for him....he's a puller so it took some trial and error. For example, I like to say that he easy walked right out of his easy walk harness...luckily he doesn't bolt.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Margot
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g8erjackie View Post
    I always say I swear by the Kong Harness with the "traffic loop" handle. You can latch it on the front or back and it's super adjustable. I've tried other harnesses, but they just weren't as effective or comfortable for him....he's a puller so it took some trial and error. For example, I like to say that he easy walked right out of his easy walk harness...luckily he doesn't bolt.
    I haven't seen where you can hook it in the front. I'll have to try that when I put it on her tomorrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads