Endless panting

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
So Zeus is just over a year old and recently the a/c went out and I did everything I could to keep him cool but naturally he did pant a little more than normal,but now even when it feels like I might freeze to death he will still pant for what seems like hours and hours on end.i dount it could be because he's hot and he's not overweight.I thought maybe stress related as I did just move into a new house but he was doing it before the move. just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what it could be,like always hope it's nothing serious which doesn't seem like it is because other than panting he's completely normal

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be stress, but if it us constant he may be on pain. Have your vet do a full exam to sure he is OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
Owens

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I'm not ruling it out that he is in some pain but like I said he acts completely normal,still runs and plays,the weird things is when he's chewing on a you or hears a noise etc he stop panting,but as soon as that's over with it's back to the non stop panting

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Try putting a fan on him and see if that helps, but it could also be from stress.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm thinking stress, even if it started before the move likely he could sense something was already happening long before you actually left. Heck my bullies know 3 days before if anything is going to be different and they go nutso! Even just a trip to the vet. Heck sometimes I think they know people are coming over before I do. :blink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm not ruling it out that he is in some pain but like I said he acts completely normal,still runs and plays,the weird things is when he's chewing on a you or hears a noise etc he stop panting,but as soon as that's over with it's back to the non stop panting

then it could still be stress as he it not fully settled into the new home.... keep an eye on him and if you have to be at the vet for any other reason mention it and have him checked out

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
So Zeus is just over a year old and recently the a/c went out and I did everything I could to keep him cool but naturally he did pant a little more than normal,but now even when it feels like I might freeze to death he will still pant for what seems like hours and hours on end.i dount it could be because he's hot and he's not overweight.I thought maybe stress related as I did just move into a new house but he was doing it before the move. just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what it could be,like always hope it's nothing serious which doesn't seem like it is because other than panting he's completely normal

I had the same concern with Vegas...panting excessively even in the cooler climates. I took him in and it was determined that he (other than epilepsy) is doing very well.
But....he's gained some weight in the last year. He went from an underweight 49 pounds to a more healthy 59 pounds. The vet suggested we get him back down to 54 pounds....a weight he did well at for several months. We are working on it. She thinks it has to do with the extra weight. They are so sensitive to heat and their bodies are so delicate that even a few pounds can cause their body and joints extra stress.

itsalauren

Jul 1, 2014
Moose (6) seems to do this constantly. If he's not sleeping or playing with something he's lightly panting. I think he might just be a lazy breather these days. Does he pant like he just ran a marathon (all of 2 seconds lol) or lightly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
Have his soft pallet checked by the vet if you haven't already, it is fairly common in EB for the soft pallet to grow over the trachea and cause difficulty breathing.

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
I moved a few months ago and Agnes wasn't panting but it DID take her a good week to settle down and feel comfortable in our new place. She acted timid and skittish in a way that I'd never seen before but she just needed time and some extra exercise and she got back to her old self.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online