Bulldogs and tear stains

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I would love to hear from people with bulldogs that have NO tear stains. What you feed or what you do to prevent them. I am begining to think there is no bulldog without them. :eek:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think it starts with the food. If the food has dyes in it, it comes out of their body in their tears. Molly are almost gone since she's been on avoderm.

I use peroxide with cornstarch on the stains and it seems to help. Jesse and mandy are on royal canine bulldog, not seeing much of a difference. But the food is dark brown in color, while avoderm is light tan in color....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 116

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Yep, Royal Canine Bulldog has dried beets in it. Just looked up the ingredients. Beets= tear stains.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson has VERY faint tear stains. He started developing allergies at about 1 yr. After the vet put him atarx for his allergies his eyes stopped watering so much and no more tear stains. I don't know if changing his food at the same time had anything to do with it, before I fed him Innova now I feed him Natural Balances Allergy Formula Sweet Potato and Salmon.

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
I can't say enough how much we love Nature's Logic, Horse is on the lamb right now and looks like a different dog. I can't stop kissing his beautiful, dry, white face! Even friends that come over notice immediatly the difference. He doesnt smell anymore, we always thought that his smell was just a normal stinky bulldog smell. So happy we made the change to a quality dog food.

OP
roanne9145

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
Was there any certain type like salmon & potato? I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. I've had her eyes checked and she has no problems there. Very little tearing but enough to make a mess and is always biting her feet.....Thanks for the info...
Roanne

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
Horse's eyes were always goopy, his eyelashes were turned in, causing irritation to his eyes. I had been thinking about surgery for his eyelashes, and am now so glad I didn't do it. Since we've changed his food, I've realized that his eyes were swollen and irritated before, I can now see all of his beautiful white eyelashes and his eyes only have a little bit of crusties on them in the morning, which seems normal. We've been using Nature's Logic Lamb. There's a great local store that sells it near me, but when we visited my parents in MA, and Horse needed more food, I couldn't find it anywhere! Not sure if it's hard to find other places, or just near my parents! I can't put in words how much this food has changed Horse!

Attachments

• Sammy.jpg
    Sammy.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 117
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 118

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Was there any certain type like salmon & potato? I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. I've had her eyes checked and she has no problems there. Very little tearing but enough to make a mess and is always biting her feet.....Thanks for the info...
Roanne

Natural balance has a few allergy formulas that have simple protein and carbohydrate sources. A friend of mine feeds natural balance and it literally changed her dog!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.