Moving - Need Advice!

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi everyone! So my husband got a new job and we're going to be relocating next month from Phoenix to Houston. We moved from VA to Phoenix a few years ago and it wasn't too bad, but now that we have Barkley, everything seems so much more complicated! I'm just looking for some advice from anyone who has had to make a long distance move with their bully before so I can start getting everything figured out.We're going to be shipping one of our cars and driving our other car together and the drive is going to be about 15-16 hours total. Luckily Barkley LOVES the car (hopefully he still will after this trip!). We have one of those hammock car seat covers that we usually have in the backseat when he is in the car to keep the car from getting too dirty and to prevent him from falling on the floor if we have to stop suddenly. Do you think that will be ok to use for this trip or would you recommend a crate instead? He's loves his crate at home but has never been in one in the car so I'm not sure how he would do with that.I know we will need to stop every few hours for potty breaks and to have water for him to drink. Any other tips anyone has for the car ride? We're also going to have to stay in a hotel/corporate housing for a few weeks until we find a place to live, so I'm trying to make sure we have everything we'll need for that as well since most of our stuff will be in storage. Thanks for any tips/suggestions anyone has! :)

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I think the seat hammock will be fine. I'd probably also suggest that if your rear windows are darkly tinted, it may be worth it to get a couple of those baby shades to put on the rear windows.
I'm looking forward to a possible move soon as well so I'll be checking back to see what you get for advice!!
Congrats on the new job!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Best of luck with the move, drive and new job!

We just did 13 hours from Philly to Chicago... and we left out guy just lay on the floor in the back -- we have a mini-van and there was plenty of room. The best/safest is to place them in a crate. We did potty breaks every 2-3 hours depending on our need, we figured if we had to go, he most likely did too.

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
We have made several 8 hour road trips with stella. She does great. Sleeps the majority of the trip. She has the most "leg room"In the back of our minivan. We put her dog bed on the floor. Good luck with your move!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Michelle, I don't have any experience with long trips with my guys, we've only driven locally, the longest my guys have been in the car is about an hour, and they always just sleep in the car. You have been given great advice already, and Barkley will probably be comfortable on his hammock, and will most likely sleep most of the trip. He'll be fine with regular potty breaks, and he can get a break and stretch his legs on the way at the many truck stops or lunch spots along the way.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Thanks everyone!! [MENTION=5523]Bulldozersma[/MENTION] that's a great idea about the baby shades! The windows are tinted pretty well but those will def help with keeping it cooler in the back seat :)

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
We take Ruckus everywhere with us, including 12 hour car rides to Florida. He normally finds a comfy spot and sleeps almost the entire time, but I like to buy some new toys and treats to keep him occupied of he is awake and restless. We also make sure to always have lots of ice cubes on hand since Ruckus seems to prefer them when riding in the car.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
would suggest his crate as it is safe and will most likely be needed in the hotel. You may also look into giving Barkley some Gravol it will help with travel and let him sleep longer. What is Barkley's fave music and when you need to use the bathroom or stop for gas/food is a good time for his break. Good luck with the move and hope it all works out great. Give Barkley a scratch and belly rub from us.

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
First off congrats and good luck!!! This is only my personal opinion but for Patton's long car rides (and short) he goes in his crate in the car. He loves it and doesn't know anything different and sleeps the entrie time, minus potty stops of course. I tend to be on the more overbearing side (I can't believe I just admitted that) so for me I wouldn't feel safe with him just laying on the seat even with the hammock. I say try the crate but just my opinion.

Also, I just moved June 1st (it was a short distance) however I did turn Patton's world upside down and he did take some time to get used to the new place and let us know he was not happy! Best wishes for a smooth transition into your new home!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My suggestion would be that if he is used to riding with "the hammock" in the back seat and he is behaving, then I would let him ride that way, as he is used to it. Seems to me if he is not used to riding in his crate in the car-he would not be happy. If he behaves in the car, why change? Get a few new nylabones, so that if he gets bored-you can introduce a new interest for him. Bring a good sized jug of water-that he is used to ,as sometimes they won't drink "strange" water. Offer him a drink whenever you stop. Oddly enough, my dogs never wanted to drink much on a trip. Best of luck on your move! Lucky you!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
First off congrats and good luck!!! This is only my personal opinion but for Patton's long car rides (and short) he goes in his crate in the car. He loves it and doesn't know anything different and sleeps the entrie time, minus potty stops of course. I tend to be on the more overbearing side (I can't believe I just admitted that) so for me I wouldn't feel safe with him just laying on the seat even with the hammock. I say try the crate but just my opinion.

Also, I just moved June 1st (it was a short distance) however I did turn Patton's world upside down and he did take some time to get used to the new place and let us know he was not happy! Best wishes for a smooth transition into your new home!

Thanks! I just realized something else with all this, he always refuses to get out of the car! Haha. He just stretches out on the backseat and refuses to move and we have to drag him out so now I'm not sure if the crate would be a good idea or not because I can't imagine having to pry him out of that while it's in the car!

We moved into a new house with him last year and it took him about 5 minutes to get used to it haha. Luckily he's pretty easy going and loves new places and people!

Thanks for your advice!!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
My suggestion would be that if he is used to riding with "the hammock" in the back seat and he is behaving, then I would let him ride that way, as he is used to it. Seems to me if he is not used to riding in his crate in the car-he would not be happy. If he behaves in the car, why change? Get a few new nylabones, so that if he gets bored-you can introduce a new interest for him. Bring a good sized jug of water-that he is used to ,as sometimes they won't drink "strange" water. Offer him a drink whenever you stop. Oddly enough, my dogs never wanted to drink much on a trip. Best of luck on your move! Lucky you!

That's a great idea about the nylabones! Whenever he gets a new toy he is obsessed with it for hours so that is perfect! I know he is very stubborn with drinking water. Whenever we take him to the park or out he refuses to drink water until we get back in the car. Then he will only drink from a squirt type water bottle that I squirt in his mouth (brat!) but I will prob get a collapsible bowl to try and make him drink out of too.

He is used to just sleeping all day while we're at work so I'm hoping he will sleep most of the time!

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
We travel with ours all the time. Back seat, he's got his toys and bones. He chills for the ride. He's good about stopping but it takes a long time for the brake because he gets attention from everyone even pictures but he loves people. We carry a bowl for him, put water in it for break times and empty when we hit the road.

I live in Houston a great bully vet is Britmoor Animal Clinic lots of bullies go there. Enjoy your drive!

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
Lucky you that he only took 5 minutes to get used to the old house. I hope the same for this new house too!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
We travel with ours all the time. Back seat, he's got his toys and bones. He chills for the ride. He's good about stopping but it takes a long time for the brake because he gets attention from everyone even pictures but he loves people. We carry a bowl for him, put water in it for break times and empty when we hit the road.

I live in Houston a great bully vet is Britmoor Animal Clinic lots of bullies go there. Enjoy your drive!

Thanks for the vet recommendation! I was just thinking I needed to start researching a good one!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.