New bulldog Puppy with Older bulldog?

stewartstannis

Jun 25, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stewart and Stannis
hello, new to the forums but i have an older bulldog (12 years) who is still in good shape and active enough (for a 12 year old bulldog) and i was wondering how a bulldog of that age will react to a new bulldog puppy in the house? we know to make sure the older guy knows he is still boss and give him his space but i dont want him to feel sad etc etc, any advice or has anyone had this experiance? not sure how he will react after being spoiled for so long!

thanks

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I think it really depends on your dogs personality. I had a 4yr old female before getting our second female and it took awhile for my older one to truly accept her. I think for the first year she simply tolerated the puppy. Now she loves having her lil sister around but they were not immediate buds.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I have had puppies w/older dogs several times over… right now I have a 10 year old boxer, and an almost 5 mos old bully puppy!!! I would keep a watchful eye on them initially, and make sure your older baby gets plenty of "puppy free" time. I can tell when Roxie has had enough so Wally will go in his pen area to give her a break. I try to include them both in everything… treats, daily care, playtime, etc… so they feel like a family unit. It's an adjustment for everyone, but so far in our home things are going great!!!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Stewart and Stannis. I am in a similar boat in that we have a 14 month girl (Jewel) and we just picked-up an 8 month boy (Bentley) last Saturday. Bentley has been essentially submissive to Jewel. When out in the yard, Jewel actually herds Bentley away from the wife and I. When running, Jewel tries to trip Bentley with her paws and jowls. Basically, Jewel is demonstrating that she is the "alpha" and really wants to play. Thankfully, Jewel gives Bentley some space to do his business. My wife and I try to give affection equally to both Jewel and Bentley but, we can tell that there is some jealousness displayed by Jewel. Jewel almost has a Type "A" personality whereas Bentley' personality is Type B. One good thing is they do not growl and/or snip at each other. I know there is a big age difference with your 12 year old bully. I wish you good happiness with your bullies.

OP
S

stewartstannis

Jun 25, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stewart and Stannis
thanks so much, we will just make sure the older guy "stewart" gets as much if not more attention and that he is not to botherd by the puppy "stannis."

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.