Hair loss after weaning puppies

Kailee Pennell

Jun 24, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I was recently given a Bulldog named Honey. She was just weaned from her puppies 3 or 4 days before we got her (so now about a week ago). When I got her, she was losing patches of hair (not really big patches) but enough that it was noticeable. She is a light tan and white. Now on her back (mostly tan) she is losing more and more hair. It's coming out like she's shedding. Her old owner gave me amoxicillian (sp?) to give to her but it's not an infection, so it's not going to do any good. Any ideas what could be causing this or what could help her get over it. Also.... In part of our agreement to me getting her for free, she is being bred again in August, and I get to keep half the puppies. Until then, any ideas on how to make her teats less saggy?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I'm sorry...but the puppies was just weaned from her and already the puppies are separated from their mom and to top it all she was given a way? awwwe the poor thing! Sorry don't have answers to your questions but I'm sure the experts will come along soon enough. Thank you for giving Honey a permanent home.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would take her to the vet and ask him about it, could be a wide range of things. I think the teats will firm up after a while from not being worked on all of the time. Seems kind of intense that she's going to breed again in another month? She just had the litter, how many litters has she had?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She was probably not properly taken care of while she was nursing the pups, no proper nutrition, and her body is just worn out. Take her to the vet and get her checked out, and also get her on some high quality food and some supplements like NuVet Plus or Hardy Pet Complete. Poor baby girl, I feel sorry for her, because it sounds like she was owned by a puppy mill and that's all they want to do is breed her to death. You do not take the pups away from their mama until about 8 weeks of age. People who do that are just wanting to make extra money and get rid of the pups too soon.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
This is really sad. Ya come on she is going to put through all that again in august. That it's just way to soon. I hate to say it but she is just in it for the money and going to leave u with a vet bill. You are now caring for her I think you should talk to her and wait. It's your money now going into her. I don't think she will be ready health wise to have another set. So glad you got her away from that puppy mill breeder. Poor thing.

Sent from S4 (Mia)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow..... just.....wow. I am going to keep my mouth shut and just simply reply to the question. Okay, I lied, I tried to but couldn't.

It is not uncommon for a female to blow her coat after she has a litter of pups, but the description of "patchy" doesn't sit well, I would have her checked out. Her teets should firm up but sometimes they don't, and depending on how many litters she has already had as well.

Great advice from posters above and agree with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]. It is way too soon for her to be bred again, she needs to recover from the last litter and get back into shape, and have some time to just be a fun loving bulldog!!!! Plus she will still be adjusting to your new home and schedule, this is not good to breed during this time due to stress on her body and her new home. PLEASE try to talk some sense into this 'breeder'!!!!! :sense:

Most Reactions