cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I was a nervous ninny this am b/c i decided to leave the boys' crate doors open while away at work today. I kept going back/forth with the idea but then decided i would try it again, it's been a few months since I did this. Yesterday i left them for one hr in their room and they were okay. But today is much longer of course. I think they're a little confused as to why the crates were open tho.

Also, Finn has been peeing in his crate..i noticed this a couple times last week. If i left a pee pad in the room, would this confuse them and think they can pee inside again?

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
We have tried this a couple of times. We decided it was better to take it in small steps and leave them free to roam while we did quick errands (about 1 hr) and then bump it up to a few hours while we were at the hockey games. We are currently trying to get 5+ hours but are not having good luck. They do well for a few days even a week or so and then seem to have the "I'm mad at you for leaving me" poop, lol.

I've never tried the pee-pad though as they never sem to pee inside. But using it would give me the same fear that they would think its ok to pee inside.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would leave them in the crates when you are gone, just in case something were to excite them and they started fighting, there would be no one there to stop them.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I really don't know if those pee-pads work… my bullies just seem to want to chew it up in a million pieces!!! Lol I would agree that giving them time out of the crates would be okay, especially if they have done okay in the past. Do you have a video camera? It would be reassuring to know that they were doing ok… instead of partying it up… WOO HOO!!! :boogie:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
More Duck tape?:pouting: What design wouldst thou liketh?

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I would leave them in the crates when you are gone, just in case something were to excite them and they started fighting, there would be no one there to stop them.

:faint:I sure hope they behave themselves, David!! I was going crazy this morning b/c at first i thought, 'nah, i'll lock their crates', then a minute later, 'okay, let's try this again'. I even drove off to work and one mile later, headed back home to check on them!
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], yes, a webcam...i started shopping for one today on amazon...trying to find one that's not too costly but works well.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We have tried this a couple of times. We decided it was better to take it in small steps and leave them free to roam while we did quick errands (about 1 hr) and then bump it up to a few hours while we were at the hockey games. We are currently trying to get 5+ hours but are not having good luck. They do well for a few days even a week or so and then seem to have the "I'm mad at you for leaving me" poop, lol.

I've never tried the pee-pad though as they never sem to pee inside. But using it would give me the same fear that they would think its ok to pee inside.

i wish i didn't have to work so darn long today 'cuz they'll be home alone for a good 9hours!

i think you have the right idea with going up in increments, time-wise.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would be too nervous that they would fight.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
To add on to Davids point, we live in earthquake country. :mellow:

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
:faint:I sure hope they behave themselves, David!! I was going crazy this morning b/c at first i thought, 'nah, i'll lock their crates', then a minute later, 'okay, let's try this again'. I even drove off to work and one mile later, headed back home to check on them!
@ddnene, yes, a webcam...i started shopping for one today on amazon...trying to find one that's not too costly but works well.

A web cam that has a microphone on it so you can yell at them to "stop it" and they can think "where the heck is mom yelling at us from", lol

To add on to Davids point, we live in earthquake country. :mellow:

So true... I don't usually feel the quakes and will prolly blame the dogs for whatever falls and breaks, lol.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
First Henny I thought the duct tape, a camera sounds the go to watch them. I hope they are going to be good boys today for you

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
First Henny I thought the duct tape, a camera sounds the go to watch them. I hope they are going to be good boys today for you

thanks Julie, me too! I've been thinking of them all day and being a worry-wart. :fie:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I sure hope things went well, anxious to hear how it went! Finger's crossed. More times than not Vegas is laying in his crate when I get home and I never, ever have to lock his door. He just loves his crate especially with his new comfy crate pad that Jeannie made for him out of a nice cool cotton.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.