Concerned

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
So I posted I went away for my cousins wedding. I've been back and with Hercules for 3 days. I left with a good girlfriend of mine. Well Hercules has been acting completely weird, with the ride home he had his head down and in the seat, he gets home and runs directly in his house. If I call his name he puts his ears down and runs back in his house. Just today has he gotten back up on the couch with me and will cuddle up like he use to. But when I ask him to go in his house he starts whining as he's running in his house. I really don't know how to feel. There's also something else
gute8uba.jpg

She said he rubbed it raw on her carpet trying to get a bone out of a corner ... I'm confused because Hercules has never done that with me ... Am I just being overly crazy? Feeling maybe guilty for leaving him? Should I be concerned?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Raechel, did your friend maybe keep him crated for long periods of time?, and if she did maybe he rubbed his face on the crate bars because he was bored or wanted out. I hope that isn't the case, and maybe you can't ask her that question, but just a thought.

OP
raetate

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
She sent me a lot of pictures of him when I was gone and it didn't seem like she kept him up. I just feel so terrible. I know Hercules is always resistant to go in his house but once I show him a treat hes all for it but right when I say house he's running, ears down and low to the ground.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Maybe he rubbed due to just the anxiety from being somewhere new. Our babies act out in odd ways sometimes. Hopefully he'll feel better soon now that his Momma is home

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
You'll never know what happened to him and people w/out bully
knowledge just don't get their issues and/or how serious upkeep
is for them. From his reaction I wouldn't leave him there again but
board him or hire a pet sitter. Be gentle & loving, treat him w/extra
yummy, reserved for going in his crate only, treat and praise him
extravagantly when he goes in. He will get back on track soon,
GOD bless!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
It could be that he is stressed from you being away. There isn't anyway to really know what happened while you were gone so forget it and concentrate on convincing Hercules that you aren't going anywhere now. Spend lots of time loving him up and soothing him. I think he should be back to normal in a few days. When we went on vacation for 7 days last summer, Brutus stayed in our house with family watching him and he still made himself so sick from stress, that the vet said he doesn't recommend we leave him for more than a weekend anymore. Give kisses to hercules from Brutus and Frankie.

B

Baxter Tiberius

I'm not trying to worry you or anything, but the body language you describe is fear and likely from trauma. When they squat low to the ground and their ears are flat on their head, that is a fear response. I agree that I would never leave him there again. And you probably can't confront her without affecting your friendship. But that body language from an English bulldog conveys that something is triggering fear because something else recently was terrifying to him in a similar situation. Again I'm completely projecting here, but if he physically reacts like that when you tell him to go to his crate, he may have experienced something dramatic while being told to go to his crate at the other location. And I think it's total BS that he got that mark on his face from trying to dig out a bone. Was he doing it for six hours straight or something? Anyways. Awkward situation for you. Try to rehabilitate him by building his confidence back up. And don't take him back there.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I do not want to be forward on this, but I would be concerned. Could your girlfriend have abused Hercules, maybe hit him is why he is cowered down. Or he just missed you so much it affected his health, I just do not trust people with my dogs, especially with Elmo, a lot of people do not know how to deal with a Bulldogs needs. His sore under his nose looks painful. Have you taken Hercules to his Vet about his mood change? I Pray Hercules will be his self in no time. God Bless You and Your Precious Hercules. If it were me I would not let Hercules stay with your girlfriend anymore.

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
[MENTION=10754]raetate[/MENTION] You are not crazy. U have every right to go crazy. I would be so upset.how would u bee if that was a child. You come home to and pick up your child and see cuts and bruises? This is the something!
Feel so bad. Dont beat yourself up.I would go get it checked. Did your friend feel really bad and sat sorry to you? When she would text u pictures well u where away did u notice that on the pictures? .everyone thinks im crazy cause I will not go far for vacation cause I dont trust no one. Keep us posted on Hercules

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You are so not crazy.... I agree with everyone else -- something happen and you will probably never know what or the whole truth. Move on and do not leave him with her again. Hugs to your sweet boy

Ladylowery2005

Jan 6, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Major Payne
Maybe I have a wild imagination but that place in his face kinda looks like a burn. Do you think maybe it's possible he accidentally sniffed a hot curling iron or something and when he got hurt your friend freaked out panicked and yelled at him to go to his house/crate? That would be traumatic for a sweet bulldog. First to get burned and be in pain then to get yelled at for it. It would definitely leave a bad memory for him. Maybe I am way off base here but it's just a thought. And one explanation of what could have happened that was totally an accident. I am sure if you left your baby with your friend you had no reason to think she would be mean intentionally to him. She may have felt bad and embarrassed about what happened and didn't want to tell you the truth. Which has made it worse but you know how people are. Hope your baby feels better soon but I would for sure take him to the vet for the sore. If it's a burn it may still be hurting or could get infected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Poor thing, please don't beat yourself up for leaving him, is there anyway you can tactful and in a non accusing way talk to your friend incase a situation did happen, Bazza does get something similar looking to that when he tries to bury his bone in stones, we actually have to take bones off him as he will constantly bury and dig them up in our stones (plenty of grass and dirt to pick from, but no he will hurt his lips using the stones !) I do agree also the way he is acted seems like fear. I know Somethimes they do take a few days to get back to normal because just being out of their environment can stress them out. Take care of yourself and you beautiful boy, keep us posted and how he is going.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone else that something must of happened, but I have serious doubts that something was done intentionally. Especially considering that she sent you pics while you were gone… maybe Hercules was so distraught about you being away that he's acting out now. Have you talked to your friend about this… I was curious as to her reaction?!! I would agree NOT to let him stay there again if you go on another trip...

OP
raetate

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
Thank you everyone. And she is an amazing friend and I love her to death. It just bothers me because I feel so guilty for leaving him. I know she wouldn't do anything to him just bothered by it all. But he is getting back to normal.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.