Rash on belly

EnzosMommy

Jun 17, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Enzo
My baby boy Enzo is just over 6 months old. Last month he had a red itchy rash on his tummy, inner thighs and that led up to his under armpits. We took him to the vet after he would constantly scratch and I could tell it was really bothering him. The vet gave him a steroid shot and also prednisone and cephalexin to take daily. The rash cleared up completely within a week or so and the vet gave chlorphen maleate if rash came back. Here we are 1 month later and the rash has returned. The medication given is not giving him any relief. He loves to spend time outside in the grass and I'm suspecting that is the cause. Before I originally took him to the vet I gave him a bath in oatmeal and that made the rash flare up and bother him even more so I immediately brought him in. I use a GNC pet shampoo and his bed and blankets are washed in Tide. He eats only Blue Buffalo kibble and can food. I have been really limiting what table food I give him since I have seen his rash return. Any advice would be helpful. I would hate to keep bringing him to the vet to be drugged up on antibiotics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,722

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It could be an allergy. Has your vet done a skin culture to rule out Staph or MRSA? The reason for the ask is this looks very similar to what My Harlea looked like back in March and after a few weeks of it clearing up and coming back with a vengence a skin culture was done and it turned out to be MRSA and we are still fighting it as I type this almost 4 months later.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
E

EnzosMommy

Jun 17, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Enzo
I think it may be allergies to grass. We never had a problem throughout the winter but as the grass and everything else started coming in I noticed it flare up. Some days it would clear up on his own but this is the second time I have noticed it get really red and bother him. I will check with vet to see what they think. Thank you replying! :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Anytime. Its always better to be safe than sorry.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
If it is grass, Benadryl and a good routine when he comes in will help. My Rampage was very allergic to grass but it's completely manageable. Wiping down his feet, belly and anything else that touched grass is the key.

prednisone is not something you want your pup on too much (mine just got off it for the second time)

OP
E

EnzosMommy

Jun 17, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Enzo
Thank you for your reply! How much Benadryl for 36 pounds and growing? And what should I wipe him down with? Wet cloth or just dry towel? Also I tried putting olive oil in his food around the same time as he started meds so I don't know I'd that helped any or if I should give it another try.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
1mg per pound up to 3 times a day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for your reply! How much Benadryl for 36 pounds and growing? And what should I wipe him down with? Wet cloth or just dry towel? Also I tried putting olive oil in his food around the same time as he started meds so I don't know I'd that helped any or if I should give it another try.

Wet colth.... Banks is allergic to all things green and I have to wipe her paws and belly after each trip outside.

OP
E

EnzosMommy

Jun 17, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Enzo
After a few days of patting him down with a doggy wet wipe every time he comes inside his rash has miraculously cleared up! No more red, itching and scratching! It must be the grass that bothers his skin. But we've got a routine down and it's working awesome! Thank you all for the amazing suggestions! :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Try wiping his underside with a damp cloth every time he comes in from outside and see it that helps.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, his symptoms definitely sound like allergy symptoms, and it seems like you've narrowed it down to the grass, many bullies are allergic to grass and other environmental sources, as well as cleaning products like shampoos, laundry soaps and other cleaners. If you have a sensitive bully, it's best to use unscented products, and products for sensitive skin, like unscented, sensitive baby wipes. He could also have allergies to his food. A lot of bullies are allergic to chicken and grains. You have already been given great advice from above members, and Benadryl when needed, and wiping off his paws and belly will help reduce breakouts, and allergy symptoms. There are also some natural supplements you can give your bully to help boost his immune system. I add plain unsweetened yogurt to y guys morning kibble every day, it's an excellent source of probiotics and will help with digestion and also boosts the immune system, which will help him to fight of infections and allergy symptoms, I also add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, it is a natural anti inflammatory, and kills the bad bacteria in the body, which boosts the immune system, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood, yeast can't live in an alkaline environment, but does grow in an acidic environment. We also add an Omega oil to their evening kibble, you can use either salmon oil, cod liver oil, or coconut oil. All of these things are natural so are safe, and are inexpensive a d can be bought at a drugstore, or a health food store.

OP
E

EnzosMommy

Jun 17, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Enzo
Vikinggirl thank you so much for those awesome suggestions! The wipes I've been using are unscented and aren't bothering him a bit! :) I just picked up some plain yogurt last night and will add that into his diet tomorrow. I'm gonna look into the salmon oil, and hope it's something that he'll like. You've more than answered my questions and I thank you so much!:) I was looking for things that were a healthy alternative to antibiotics! Thank you again so much! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online