petting preferences

theresa gail

Mar 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ziggy Stardust
Our Ziggy, 7 month old male, really seems to dislike being petted on the top of his head. Loves to be rubbed under his neck and loves the belly rub. Is this a dominence thing or just a preference of his?

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
All bulldogs are different, it could just be that he prefers a belly rub right now. It could just be a stage, or it could be one of his "things". They all have their own unique quirks, and it's great.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Yep. Just a bully thing. Harlea's favorite is to have her belly rubbed. She will let you pet her anywhere, but the first chance she gets she will flop on her back for the belly rub.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some just don't like to be petted on the head, I think it's a dominance thing, that's what I was told a long time ago, that when you go up to a strange dog, you let them smell the back of your hand and then go to the side of their head to start petting them and not to the top. But it also could just be, most bullies love a butt rub or belly rub.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks HATES the top of her head being rubbed/petted/touched, she will do all she can to stop us from doing it. Her favorite spot is the shoulders

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
If I pull diesel on top of me so he's on his back he is totally unsure. He won't move as he's getting attention but he don't like it.
The pups love all attention especially scratchy bum time

Holly33

Aug 23, 2013
New Hampshire
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joe
Joe likes the butt and belly rubs ... But dislikes the head petting too .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Blossom loves her Belly rubs the best, and her butt rubs too lol. But she will let you pet her anywhere, she's not fussy. Dozer also loves the belly rubs, and he doesn't mind you petting his head, but he doesn't like his ears being touched, probably because he thinks I'm going to clean his ears. Lol

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse never liked his head patted now he doesn't mind but prefers his tummy or his ears being stroked

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Bazza hates having his head petted, he was worse when he was younger would try and avoid it at all costs, now 2 1/2 years old he will allow it but I don't thinks he likes it too much,

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June doesn't enjoy her head being rubbed... probably because I grab her squishy face and kiss her so much haha. She will turn around and put her butt in your face for you to scratch though...

Snoopy3

Nov 5, 2010
Bristol, Connecticut, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Snoopy (RIP), Gus & Layla
Gus has always shied away from head petting. Sometimes he lets me do it since I'm his mama, but no one else really. With him, it's a fear thing -- big scary hand coming up over him, what is it gonna do??? He has many other fear issues, but this was the first one we noticed as a pup. He was well-socialized but just tends to be a less-confident bully. We've been working with a trainer on his fear issues. He misses his sister -- she was his security blanket 😥

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.