amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Hi everyone,

My Archie is 11 1/2 weeks old & when we first brought him home, his poop was super runny & he went very often. We thought it might've been due to adjusting to the new environment, but had his stool checked anyway just to be safe. He tested positive for worms so we did the 5 day deworming treatment & at first, it seemed to be helping, but then at the end of the treatment, the runny poop was back. Also, he goes SO many times a day - at least 5 or more times a day. Maybe that's normal for a puppy, but it seems like a lot. He's getting the hang of housebreaking, but this issue seems to be making it a little difficult. I think he has a hard time controlling it sometimes & seriously, some times we will take him out & he will poop & then 10 minutes later, he has an accident in the house. He also seems to be straining & uncomfortable when he goes. Took another sample back to the vet last Monday & the worms were gone, but they prescribed Flagyl for ten days to help with the loose stool. So far, the problem is still hanging around so I picked up some canned pumpkin today - how much per day do I give him? As far as food goes, he's eating Blue Wilderness Grain Free Puppy. He's doing so well, otherwise, & adjusting well, too. Just hoping to get this whole pooping thing worked out soon! ;)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
How much food are you feeding per meal per day? If you have had him checked the culprit could be that he is getting too much to eat.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
I've been following what it says on the bag of food based on the size & he gets 3/4 cup three times a day. He generally eats all of it. Is it too much? I've been wondering if there's a basic feeding guideline somewhere online.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It could be. All bullies are different and what works for one won't always work for another if you know what I mean. You can try cuttingnback by 1/4 cup a day and see how it goes. To help firm him up you can also give him some pure canned pumpkin. (Not pie filling) What is the protein in the food? It could also not be agreening with him.

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
I picked up some canned pumpkin tonight & will try that in the morning - how much should I give him? The food has 36% protein. I will also try giving him 1/2 cup of food at lunch instead of 3/4 since he seems a little less hungry then. Thanks! ��

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
At his age start with a heaping teaspoon.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Poor baby, I agree with Todd completely, try cutting back his food. It should help. Please keep us updated on Archie

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka
Too much food. If I was you id do 1/2 cup 3 times a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I hope Archie is starting to feel better!!!!

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Thank you for the help! We tried some pumpkin today (although he didn't seem to love that) & and we also cut back on the amount of food we're feeding him. No change yet, but we're hopeful!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would go to 1/2 c each meal for a day, then slowly increase it after it firms up. At approximate 8 weeks they eat 1/2 c a meal 3x a day, by 4 months it should be around 1cup 3x a day until about a year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
I had the same problem with my boy when we got him. We put him on grain free and our vet told us to take him off immediately. He said it was too much for his stomach to digest at a young age so we switched his food. (He also had just finished his meds for having worms as well so that's what we thought too) but the vet was convinced it was his food. Just a thought...

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
Ugh! [MENTION=11875]amdeemer[/MENTION] I say that because we are currently in week 2 of a 10 week food trial and my baby is miserable. However the short answer to your question is yes. His stool did get significantly firmer as well as the frequency of his needing to go #2 has dropped to a more manageble number! Now, if our dermatologist could just figure out what he is allergic to so he would stop itching his face and making it bleed everyday I would be the happiest person on the planet! But to the vet's credit that told us that about the grain free..I did notice Patton was visibly uncomfortable when he had to go #2 while on the grain free food and now he is not. Progress.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.