Adopting a bulldog have questions

xBandit

Jun 14, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hello im new here. Made the decision couple months ago I want another dog sense several years back my old dog died. A family friend is currently is fostering an aprox 2 year old english bulldog. My family decided we would like to adopt him. Big beautiful brindle/white boy. He came from a bad situation from a hoarding puppy mill and spent his life in a small crate. We went a few days ago to meet the him and spent about 30 minutes with him. Seems like a great overall dog seemed happy. He does have a slight jumping problem when we first met him but towards the end when we left he wasnt doing it so that will need to be corrected and trained not to do so cause he scratched my arms to pieces and did bleed a little. What would the community advise me to do on correcting that behavior? Not positive if he is housebroken the foster parent did say he doesnt use the bathroom in the house so I may need work a little with him on that. But what are some things I should expect this will be the first time owning an english bulldog and even my first rescue dog. Super excited ready to get him home. He still has to be neutered and a few other things done before I can get him. Any help,tips,recommendations, etc will be greatly appreciated !!!! Thanks :)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
First of all congratulations on thinking about adopting an unwanted bully
Because his rough start he will need a time and patience with his training -it is not impossible but with dedication and behaviour training you are not only saving a bully you give him a happy life
Lets start with jumping this is how we deal with it time and time again
You need to teach an advanced sit. It is the command that gives you most control. Get him to sit every day of his life in as many situations as possible. Putting down his food, putting his lead on, while you open the door, at the kerb, while greeting people. If it's an excitable siuation, like greeting people, have a titbit on his nose and let him nuzzle it to keep him there. If he's sitting he can't be jumping up.It's the most neglected training of all. Because 99% of puppies will sit, most people don't bother with training the sit further. You need to train him to sit, in a normal tone of voice, 100% of the time in every situation and to stay there until he is released. It won't happen overnight and will take lots of patience.
For example: Opening the door.
Put him on the lead and tell him to sit. Start to open the door. Immediately he gets up, shut the door and wait for him to sit again (you probably won't need to give the command again). Repeat and repeat until you can open the door without him moving. The only thing you have to say is 'Sit'. You can quietly say' That's a good sit'. Keep relaxed all the time. Say nothing if he moves. Not only are you getting control over him, he is learning self-control. Same rule applies when visitors come around xx

Potty training you have to start from scratch as you would with a puppy ,basically you take dog out often preferably leashed to the designated area in your backyard once he do his business reward with a treat and a lot of praise ,he will eventually understand that going porgy outside means treats and fun stuff and he will start asking to go out -this will take some time -how long? All depends on a individual dog but it is not impossible ,gradually you will replace treats with just praise -we still give a treat now and again to our girls to remind them were to potty and that they done a good job remembering it ;-)
Please keep us posted

OP
X

xBandit

Jun 14, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thank you Pati for all the info. I will be staying with him all day everyday so we will have plenty of time to have patience and work on his training. I will report back to this thread with photos and updates when I can.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. Thank you for looking to rescue. Pati has you covered and always remember that it is going to take time for him to learn and understand what you want so please be patient.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome and so glad your thinking of adopting!

Also....Great info Pati! That's the one problem I have with my bullies is jumping all over strangers. I'm going to try your technique!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
:welcome4:Congrats on the adoption you both are going to benefit by having each other. This site is and has helped me so much in understanding Bullies such as what kind of food extremely important, skin care, tail pockets, and so so so much more. Look forward to hear on how things are progressing and of course PICTUREs. We are kinda Pic crazy and story telling kinda group

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Congratulations on your decision and welcome to EBN. Thank you for adopting this baby!!! I hope you have many many happy bulldog filled years of love in front of you

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Welcome and so glad your thinking of adopting!

Also....Great info Pati! That's the one problem I have with my bullies is jumping all over strangers. I'm going to try your technique!

It works but i do love putting visitors off so they wont visit again :-))

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Congratulations on deciding to rescue!!! ❤️❤️

Patti gave amazing advice that I will use myself. 😃 I've been working on the no jumping and leash training with Riggins. He's kind of terrible on a leash when other dogs walk by. For treats to reward, I cut up an apple in tiny little pieces. He loves it! And he won't get chunky from so many treats. Just my little suggestion 😃

Good luck and post pics when you have some!! 🐶

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First of all congratulations on thinking about adopting an unwanted bully
Because his rough start he will need a time and patience with his training -it is not impossible but with dedication and behaviour training you are not only saving a bully you give him a happy life
Lets start with jumping this is how we deal with it time and time again
You need to teach an advanced sit. It is the command that gives you most control. Get him to sit every day of his life in as many situations as possible. Putting down his food, putting his lead on, while you open the door, at the kerb, while greeting people. If it's an excitable siuation, like greeting people, have a titbit on his nose and let him nuzzle it to keep him there. If he's sitting he can't be jumping up.It's the most neglected training of all. Because 99% of puppies will sit, most people don't bother with training the sit further. You need to train him to sit, in a normal tone of voice, 100% of the time in every situation and to stay there until he is released. It won't happen overnight and will take lots of patience.
For example: Opening the door.
Put him on the lead and tell him to sit. Start to open the door. Immediately he gets up, shut the door and wait for him to sit again (you probably won't need to give the command again). Repeat and repeat until you can open the door without him moving. The only thing you have to say is 'Sit'. You can quietly say' That's a good sit'. Keep relaxed all the time. Say nothing if he moves. Not only are you getting control over him, he is learning self-control. Same rule applies when visitors come around xx

Potty training you have to start from scratch as you would with a puppy ,basically you take dog out often preferably leashed to the designated area in your backyard once he do his business reward with a treat and a lot of praise ,he will eventually understand that going porgy outside means treats and fun stuff and he will start asking to go out -this will take some time -how long? All depends on a individual dog but it is not impossible ,gradually you will replace treats with just praise -we still give a treat now and again to our girls to remind them were to potty and that they done a good job remembering it ;-)
Please keep us posted

[MENTION=12134]xBandit[/MENTION] ^^^^^ perfect advice!

Best of luck with the adoption and please keep us posted

OP
X

xBandit

Jun 14, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Ok first thanks to you all for the welcome. We got him a few hours ago. After spending time with him all he wants is to be loved on which we gave him tons of love . He keeps pacing the floors panting. He is not hot i don't think we had 2 fans and the ac jacked down low the entire time. 10 minutes he just calmed down and laid down got up minute later and back up and finally laying again. I'm sleeping in the living room with him first few nights. But so far so good ! uploadfromtaptalk1403147346094.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403147360535.jpg

LordNelson

May 28, 2014
Austin, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Congratulations!

Patti gave great advice (as always). I'm a new bully owner/ownee as well and have a few things to add. More seasoned bully vets can correct me if I am wrong :)

He is in a new place, and doesn't know the rules, so excessive panting early can simply be stress. It's good to get him into a good consistent routine as soon as possible. Be consistent on feeding times and amounts, and make sure he gets some exercise via directed walks. Help him burn off some of his nervous energy and then interact with you and your family in a calm manner.

Which room is going to be his room to sleep in, or where is his crate going to be? You may as well get him used to that early. Otherwise the change from you sleeping with him on the couch, to you being somewhere else can be stressful.

I would also reiterate some of what Patti said, in making sure that you get him used to "sit". That little tip really helps you establish roles and boundaries.

For the first few days, or longer, you may even want to keep him on leash as he learns his way around your home, then gradually expand his "freedom". Establish boundaries early, but not harshly -- bullies seem extremely sensitive to your moods.

Congratulations again and best wishes!

Ps. for treats my bully likes slices of frozen apple or banana, or refrigerated blackberries or broccoli :)

Cheers and welcome!

Gordosmom1212

Aug 11, 2013
Pflugerville, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnum (EB), Delta (EB), Gracie (EB), Zoey (FB), Pebbles (FB), Prada (FB)
Congratulations on deciding to rescue!!! ❤️❤️

Patti gave amazing advice that I will use myself. 😃 I've been working on the no jumping and leash training with Riggins. He's kind of terrible on a leash when other dogs walk by. For treats to reward, I cut up an apple in tiny little pieces. He loves it! And he won't get chunky from so many treats. Just my little suggestion 😃

Good luck and post pics when you have some!! 🐶

I need some of your training. Gordo is a very bad doggy when it comes to jumping and nibbling.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.