Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adopting a bulldog have questions

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Adopting a bulldog have questions

Ok first thanks to you all for the welcome. We got him a few hours ago. After spending time with him all he wants is to be loved on which we gave him tons of love . He keeps pacing the floors panting. He is not hot i don't think we had 2 fans and the ac jacked down low the entire time. 10 minutes he just calmed down and laid down got up minute later and back up and finally laying again. I'm sleeping in the living room with him first few nights. But so far so good ! -uploadfromtaptalk1403147346094-jpg-uploadfromtaptalk1403147360535-jpg

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Jay
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nelson
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations!

Patti gave great advice (as always). I'm a new bully owner/ownee as well and have a few things to add. More seasoned bully vets can correct me if I am wrong

He is in a new place, and doesn't know the rules, so excessive panting early can simply be stress. It's good to get him into a good consistent routine as soon as possible. Be consistent on feeding times and amounts, and make sure he gets some exercise via directed walks. Help him burn off some of his nervous energy and then interact with you and your family in a calm manner.

Which room is going to be his room to sleep in, or where is his crate going to be? You may as well get him used to that early. Otherwise the change from you sleeping with him on the couch, to you being somewhere else can be stressful.

I would also reiterate some of what Patti said, in making sure that you get him used to "sit". That little tip really helps you establish roles and boundaries.

For the first few days, or longer, you may even want to keep him on leash as he learns his way around your home, then gradually expand his "freedom". Establish boundaries early, but not harshly -- bullies seem extremely sensitive to your moods.

Congratulations again and best wishes!

Ps. for treats my bully likes slices of frozen apple or banana, or refrigerated blackberries or broccoli

Cheers and welcome!

Real Name
    Amanda
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gordo Fatsky
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rigginsluv11 View Post
    Congratulations on deciding to rescue!!! ❤️❤️

Patti gave amazing advice that I will use myself. 😃 I've been working on the no jumping and leash training with Riggins. He's kind of terrible on a leash when other dogs walk by. For treats to reward, I cut up an apple in tiny little pieces. He loves it! And he won't get chunky from so many treats. Just my little suggestion 😃

Good luck and post pics when you have some!! 🐶

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I need some of your training. Gordo is a very bad doggy when it comes to jumping and nibbling.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Amanda
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gordo Fatsky
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by xBandit View Post
    Ok first thanks to you all for the welcome. We got him a few hours ago. After spending time with him all he wants is to be loved on which we gave him tons of love . He keeps pacing the floors panting. He is not hot i don't think we had 2 fans and the ac jacked down low the entire time. 10 minutes he just calmed down and laid down got up minute later and back up and finally laying again. I'm sleeping in the living room with him first few nights. But so far so good ! -uploadfromtaptalk1403147346094-jpg-uploadfromtaptalk1403147360535-jpg
    He is handsome. congratulations!!!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

All the tips are great thank you. He is slowly relaxing and dozing off right now. He did pee and poo last night in the house which is ok . Little bit ago he went bathroom outside I gave him a positive praise and a nice pat and a treat.

I have noticed his rear end seems to aggervate him some times and it does stink a little what could that be? Today we are gonna start mixing in a blend of grain free food in with his pedigree food and eventually go grain free for good.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xBandit View Post
    All the tips are great thank you. He is slowly relaxing and dozing off right now. He did pee and poo last night in the house which is ok . Little bit ago he went bathroom outside I gave him a positive praise and a nice pat and a treat.

I have noticed his rear end seems to aggervate him some times and it does stink a little what could that be? Today we are gonna start mixing in a blend of grain free food in with his pedigree food and eventually go grain free for good.
    Congratulations!!!

For the rear it could either be anal glands or tail pocket- or both.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Doggie Boutique Owner MissWaddles13's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations! You will have an adventure from the day you bring him home and forever .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads