Allergic to cat?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
4 days ago we adopted an abadoned kitty found at our train station. At about 3-4 days ago Bifi started coughing. After a trip to the vet and one shot later he was on the mend up until yesterday. This morning the coughing came back with a vengence. Bifi is in pain, he was shivering when he lays down and inhales, he can't go back to sleep. I found him gnawing on the new toy he and i bought yesterday for the cat. then he started coughing!

A trip to the vet again. The vet found his throat inflamed and an elevated temperature. He was saying Bifi might be allergic to the cat (This is before i asked the vet to check Bifi's temperature). I almost broke down because the cat, though nameless still, is now just starting to acclimate in our home. And so far as we know, we have been the third home he has been to. Thinking of looking for a new home for him is, for me, unfathomable. But then the vet said fever is not a symptom of an allergy (so now i hope). Bifi definitely has an infection but we couldn't figure out where and the cause. I asked for an x-ray but the vet said it would be futile if we are only looking for cat's hair. Should i have insisted for the x-ray? :( Bifi got an antibiotic shot and pain meds. We go back on Monday. He is, atleast now, finally sleeping infront me.

Forgot to mention...When we visit the MIL, Bifi licks her cat and put his nose on him and Bifi has no reaction to the hair whatsoever. I highly doubt it's an allergy (and i fervetly hope it's not). But my poor baby... I feel so helpless.:(:(:(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm this is really strange… Are they sure that he didn't inhale something that irritated his throat, like a toy or stick?!! I still wouldn't rule out the allergies, it does seem strange that Bifi started coughing when you brought the cat in. Is your MIL cat long or short haired? I know in our home we had 2 cats, and I was really allergic to the long-haired one. Did they run any blood tests?!!

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Hmm this is really strange… Are they sure that he didn't inhale something that irritated his throat, like a toy or stick?!! I still wouldn't rule out the allergies, it does seem strange that Bifi started coughing when you brought the cat in. Is your MIL cat long or short haired? I know in our home we had 2 cats, and I was really allergic to the long-haired one. Did they run any blood tests?!!

When we went there Monday the vet thought he might have something in the throat thats irritating him. Now his lymphnodes are a little swollen as well as his throat and fever and pain to boot (not to mention the constant coughing that has receded but not gone after a shot from the vet).

No they didn't do bloodwork. Argh now i feel dumb should've asked for that too! The cat is fluffy but short haired as well as MIL's kitty. should i go back again to the vet or wait till monday...? waaaahhhh wanna kick myself. my heart bleeds for Bifi seeing him so quiet.

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
[MENTION=10979]Bella and Dozers Dad[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Thank you very much!!!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
When we went there Monday the vet thought he might have something in the throat thats irritating him. Now his lymphnodes are a little swollen as well as his throat and fever and pain to boot (not to mention the constant coughing that has receded but not gone after a shot from the vet).

No they didn't do bloodwork. Argh now i feel dumb should've asked for that too! The cat is fluffy but short haired as well as MIL's kitty. should i go back again to the vet or wait till monday...? waaaahhhh wanna kick myself. my heart bleeds for Bifi seeing him so quiet.

Oh STOP IT… don't beat yourself up, he's supposed to be the expert NOT you!!! (and honestly maybe he's trying to save you some money if he feels it's not necessary) I would think it could wait till Monday UNLESS he gets worse. IMO on Monday I would have them do some blood work and an X-ray. His white blood cell count would indicate an infection, and the x-ray to rule out that he ingested something. I'm going to tag some people to see if anyone has an idea what else you can do...

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Thank you! I'm very scared because he has been reverse sneezing which he has never done before. He still eats and drinks so i think thats some consolation. Thank you for reminding me about the bloodwork :).

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Thank you! I'm very scared because he has been reverse sneezing which he has never done before. He still eats and drinks so i think thats some consolation. Thank you for reminding me about the bloodwork :).

Gucci our (rat)
asu2yjyr.jpg

Suffers from the reverse sneezing, he's always had it. It happens when he's excited. I stop it by gently pulling his nose up to release the air ways xxx

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci our (rat)
asu2yjyr.jpg

Suffers from the reverse sneezing, he's always had it. It happens when he's excited. I stop it by gently pulling his nose up to release the air ways xxx

OMG how darn cute!!! Lol :w00t:

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
@ddnene and [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] Thank you! lol that "rat" is indeed the cutest! I am not really worried of the reverse sneezing alone, i am just concerned that it came at a time when Bifi is now really sick. He is still coughing out slimy foamy liquid (phlegm?) and his nose is now runny. he is very lethargic but still wants to eat and play. He also just threw up his lunch. Puking and fever...now i'm thinking parvo! OMG I hope not!:nervous:Bifi being sick is driving me insane :yell:.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Fever means infection of some sort, so maybe this is just coincidence with the cat, hope so. Hopefully it isn't a bad allergic reaction that has caused the infection, like from a scratch or something.

My husband is highly allergic to cats, and once a scratch gave him cat scratch fever (yes, that is real!) and his gland in his armpit abcessed and grew to the size of a softball- and popped.

Praying Bifi feels better soon, did they prescribe antibiotics?

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Fever means infection of some sort, so maybe this is just coincidence with the cat, hope so. Hopefully it isn't a bad allergic reaction that has caused the infection, like from a scratch or something.

My husband is highly allergic to cats, and once a scratch gave him cat scratch fever (yes, that is real!) and his gland in his armpit abcessed and grew to the size of a softball- and popped.

Ouch that must have hurt! My dad and his brothers have abcessed somewhere in their body and it sometimes need operation.

Infection-That's what the vet said after taking Bifi's temperature that there's an infection somewhere but where and what the cause is unknown. He gave Bifi an antibiotic shot good till saturday and tablets for sunday. could an elongated palate generate a sudden infection out of the blue?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Popped!! :yikes: I got cat scratch fever got it from the kitty next door.

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I just checked Bifi's gums and pressed it they are pale! that means he's not getting enough oxygen doesn't it? Ok i googled i have to give it a few minutes because he just woke up when i checked his gums. deep breath.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.