wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness is starting to get comfortable in his new house which includes biting me and my gf when we play. I know he is a puppy and we are playing but i am trying to cut down on the amount of nipping as opposed to the biting. I have talked sternly to him and said no, walked away and not played with him, but these don't seem to be working. Open to some help to see what guys did to cure this. We also have ton of toys and chew toys but he always seems to drop them and come bite us hahahaha. Thanks in advance

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
Saban isn't a nipper, he rather chew his toys....my boston, now shes a different story. Shes 7 months and still bites us no matter what....i need this advice as well as u, hehe. Saban just rather chew on the door frames in the house :confused:. He ruined my bathroom door frame so we are having to keep a very watchful eye on him.....

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness is being a monster, going after toys, new couch, pretty much anything that he can get into his cute little mouth...then when you talk very sternly to him he looks at you and barks as if to say "yah ok dad, like i'm gonna listen to you"; lucky he is so damn cute

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Good luck with all of that. Brodie is not a biter on us, but has got ahold of the moulding around the window in our bedroom and part of a cabinet in the bathroom. I did see him chewing the moudling and hollared to stop and he did but when I walked out he went right back to it, so I put tabasco sauce on it. That worked, but he had poopies so have not done that again. Not real sure if that is what caused the bad poopies since he also got into his treat bag and ate all that he could get out. I will say I have not seen him go back to the moulding. There is alot of advice on here and on line. I guess you just have to try several things until it works or he grows out of it. I remember with Lola very early on she would bite at us when playing and I would pretend to cry and not play with her...cannot remember if that worked or not :crazy:. She finally grew out of all of that but those little teeth hurt. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Daddy was very bad at biting .... not just us but the other dogs too. Shouting at him didn't really help so I ended up pinning him everytime he did it, or if he got a bit too enthusiastic with the other dogs. Paticularly Maggie who would just take it!! One day she had blood all over her neck because Daddy had been chewing and hanging off her neck and her jowls ... poor Maggie! :eek:

Pinning did help but it took a few times! You just have to show them that this is unacceptable behaviour.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Jozi is a chewer too. We are working on it. It gets a
little better everyday. When she first got home it was
electric cords. Now its on to everything else. When she
gets a hold of something she isn't suppose I take it away
from her and replace it with a chew toy of hers. I think
the key is consistency. Most of the time I don't remove
what she isn't suppose to have I just keep correcting her
when she goes to it. That way she knows it is the wrong
thing to do.

Again I think the main things are time and consistency.
Just try your best not to let her slip. Make sure they know
that it is always wrong to do these things. Not that sometimes
they might get away with it if they try.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
A recommendation I have heard on here before is to let out like a high pitched cry when they bite you and be over the top like it hurts really bad. When we got my beagle she was 5 months old, we got her from a family that couldn't keep her anymore. They just told her sternly NO BITE, by the time we got her as soon as she would start biting I would say NO BITE and she would instantly stop. Other than that I don't have any other advice, its been so long since I've had a puppy.

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy used to nip when she first came home, apparently its how they play with the other puppies.
we were advised to yelp if she nipped us, move our hands away, say no firmly and give her a toy.....took some time but did work.
As for the general chewing we just tell her no firmly and give her a toy, saying shes good when she chews that instead.
She's pretty good now appart from pinching my slippers but thats just our game i think cos she heads off to her toybox with it waggin her little bum as she goes :luv:

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
We used to give a stern no as a warning and if she did it again time out to settle down, she is a quick learner. now if she does something bad we just say timeout and she behaves but she is 22 months old now, so she has had some practice.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Gertie was sooooo bad about biting us and chewing, it was unbelieveable! We gave her a toy and said, "No biting!" which did a little good, but finally I started grabbing her face and sort squeezing her mouth shut, (not enough to hurt her, of course, just enough to get her attention) and I'd tell her "No biting!". Then I'd give her a toy. It seemed to get the point across better and pretty soon she quit biting us.

Then for the chewing, we got some stuff called Bitter Yuck. It's on the same order as Bitter Apple, but it's HORRIBLE!! It's very bitter and stinks and unfortunently I got some on my fingers and it tastes absolutely terrible! I sprayed that stuff on everything Gertie was chewing on and pretty quickly she quit chewing on anything except her toys and chewies.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
he looks at you and barks as if to say "yah ok dad, like i'm gonna listen to you"; lucky he is so damn cute
[MENTION=925]wfd38383[/MENTION]
hahah! that's a bully. the biting thing is HARD to break, but you just need to be really consistent. when my two were babies and biting terrorists, i would grab them, put them on their backs and hold them down until they stopped struggling. this would take such a long time, but eventually they will submit. everytime he bites you, just put him on his back until he gives up. after a couple weeks he will realize that he just gets dominated everytime and it isn't worth it because the game stops. when you release him you can offer him a toy and if he actually bites it and chews it, make a BIG deal about how good he is. you know with that attitude they love praise. treat him when he is chewing his toys too, little pieces of cheese or some tiny training treats are good. eventually he will see which behaviors lead to treats and happiness and which lead to him being dominated. lol. as far as chewing objects in the house, i am so lucky that i haven't had chewers. although, my first girl, while she was teething, would rest her teeth on the coffee table, so i took an aluminum soup can, put 5 or so pennies in it, hot glue gunned it shut and i would shake it when she put her teeth on stuff she wasn't supposed to. she stopped that business within a week.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent advice above me!! Just be sure that when you redirect them to a toy that they are not mistaking the toy as being a reward as well. Don't offer the toy in a voice of praise, give praise only once they play with it :)

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Excellent advice above me!! Just be sure that when you redirect them to a toy that they are not mistaking the toy as being a reward as well. Don't offer the toy in a voice of praise, give praise only once they play with it :)

excellent point!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.