Sleeping under the stars...

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Kevin has started a new bad habit over the past few weeks... and i don't know why it bugs me (well.. i do.. i'll explain later)..

He was SUPER easy to crate train. He would go right into his crate and pass out. His mom, still to this day, goes into her crate and tosses a temper-tantrum for 1 minute (exactly) then is snoring.

A few weeks ago he woke up in the middle of the night and got fussy. I thought he needed to go 'wee-wee' so i let him outside... then i fell back to sleep!

He spent about 5 hours under the stars.. running around, digging up flowers, laying on the forbidden patio furniture on the deck.. all before i woke up and put him back into his crate.

(i should point out both their crates are in our bedroom)

Ever since then... he doesn't want to sleep in his crate at night! he's fine if we put him in during the day.. but as soon as the sun goes down and he's in his crate he starts whimpering and does-not-stop-all-night-long until we put him outside.

Now he has us trained! He'll wait until we are asleep.. ~1am.. then he'll start crying (loudly).. around 2am one of us will break down and put him outside... around 5am my alarm goes off, and its a race to bring him inside before the sprinklers go off and he destroys them (he loves himself some pop-up sprinkler heads). He then goes back into his crate and sleeps until about 9am.

We've tried everything to break him out of this cycle... but to be honest his 'want' to go outside normally equals our 'want' to get some sleep.

The problem is... It shouldn't be a problem.. There is no reason why he cant sleep out on the deck. The only reason i don't want him sleeping outside is... well... because he's disobeying me!!!!! I want him to sleep in his crate.. and he doesn't.. im the boss!!!

Damn dogs!

I think this battle will go on for a while, or until it gets too hot outside and he realizes his crate sits next to an air conditioning vent (so maybe 1 - 2 more weeks).

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG poor Kevin… I agree that these dogs are a total PITA!!! They get started w/something, and then it's ON… :evil: I would say the best way to handle this is to put his crate somewhere else in the house so he doesn't wake you guys up in the middle of the night. And let Mr. Mischief cry it out… One thing I would be worried about is if someone stole him from your backyard, not sure what your setup outside is. Wally is fascinated by our sprinkler heads as well, as he was barking his head off the other day at them… :ohmy: AND of course digging holes in the yard, pulling up HUGE hunks of grass down to the roots. Yeah the backyard is a disaster area… LOL

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Hahaha good boy Kevin! [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] is so right once you trigger their OCD in them, it's game on! Hope no one gets wind of him playing in the yard alone night (must be heaven for him lol) so he wont get stolen, thats also my immediate concern while reading your post.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I kept thinking too, he's out there alone..... but like it was said before, I don't know what your set up is.
I think letting him cry it out is a good idea, otherwise it'll be a tough habit to break come winter. I wonder if he'd still pitch a fit to go out if it was raining????

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
I have to confess I laughed my head off when I read this post.:laugh: !! Sorry I know that is no help to you but it was a funny post, Bulldogs antics just crack me up !!!
I am not sure what info to help you as never had this problem, but afew nights of him crying out and not getting his way (but you wouldn't get any sleep), make sure he has plenty of exercise and outside time during the day may help. Bazza spends alot of time outside during the day as he loves it !!!!!!!! Good luck I am sure others will give you some good advise.:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG :rofl: :rofl: that os fantastic!! But, you have to hold out and just like a baby let him cry it out -- I'd be totally paranoid he would be stolen, or get hurt while I was not watching --- yea, I am paranoid!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Cracking up but totally have sympathy, it's amazing how alike these
bullies are...complete PITAS (also lmao at Molly's lil nightly fit). Cami
has started marking my bed, giant, soaking pees so now is forbidden
to sleep w/me. The crying, the pouting, the stink eyes, the sad faces,
ugh, wearing me out. I agree w/all here, we are nutts putting up with
this and need to crate them elsewhere.

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Well.. i think we've found a solution.

For the past few nights he's just been sleeping 'free range' in our master bathroom. We just put up a little baby gate so he's confined but can still wander around (its a largish space).. He can lay on the cold tile floor or in his big comfy bed.. but he can still see Molly sleeping in her crate.

Even though he's still getting his way... i'm calling it a win! (he's 'locked up' where i want him)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well.. i think we've found a solution.

For the past few nights he's just been sleeping 'free range' in our master bathroom. We just put up a little baby gate so he's confined but can still wander around (its a largish space).. He can lay on the cold tile floor or in his big comfy bed.. but he can still see Molly sleeping in her crate.

Even though he's still getting his way... i'm calling it a win! (he's 'locked up' where i want him)

It is a win win then.... you sleep and he roams!

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Oh my these bullies are a mess .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online