Need advice.. Joe accidentally bit me

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Legally in most states if their dog is off leash all that other extra stuff is out the window. That other dogs owner was negligent.

This isn't true. While they may (and unless the OP caught it all on video I doubt they would) ticket the other owner for having their dog off leash, there's a very good chance that mentioning her own dog bit her, regardless of whether or not it was caused by the all confusion, will lead to a report going to animal control and Joe will now have a "record". At least that's how it would work in NY. Having one dog off leash, even if he instigated by coming towards the leashed dog, doesn't mean that the leashed dog is forgiven for all his actions.

I would never chance it, Holly. The other owner may get a ticket, but there's a very good chance Joe would still get the worst of it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm not going to do anything, it was a "state park" basically just a forest owned by the state. We were just going for a walk. They did report Joe to the Board of Health, I'm less concerned about that because I read the laws/regulations this morning and they only quarantine if there is a chance of rabies. He is all up to date on his shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good decision.... BTW the other 'owner is an @$$

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
This isn't true. While they may (and unless the OP caught it all on video I doubt they would) ticket the other owner for having their dog off leash, there's a very good chance that mentioning her own dog bit her, regardless of whether or not it was caused by the all confusion, will lead to a report going to animal control and Joe will now have a "record". At least that's how it would work in NY. Having one dog off leash, even if he instigated by coming towards the leashed dog, doesn't mean that the leashed dog is forgiven for all his actions.

I would never chance it, Holly. The other owner may get a ticket, but there's a very good chance Joe would still get the worst of it.

This is exactly how it's in GA. But also if you get but and go to ER , they report the bite.
My daughter got bit by our puppy 8 years ago. He was just 8 weeks old and playing around with her hair and he but her in the ear causing her to have 8 stiches. They reported it because they had to. I had a phone call from the health department around a week ago asking exactly what happened. I told them what happened and that it wasn't the dogs fault just my daughters and then they asked for rabies proof. Since he was still too little for rabies I told then he didn't have it and he won't have it for at least 4 more weeks. First she wanted to take the puppy then to quarantine but after I spoke with her and explained to her again that he is just a puppy and my daughter put her head in his face and since he is a puppy and very playful etc etc and again why he did not have rabies shot yet , she finally said she will drop it.

In your case is of course a little different. I just hope the other dog had his shots . This is what worries me the most. Poor you and poor joe!!! I know how must feel so bad now!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I wouldn't chance it either I had a friend who's dog bit the postman but the postie always teased him and they came and took her dog and killed it said it was vicious that was his first and only bite.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Where I live in North Carolina if your dog bites you or another dog that you do not know bites you both dogs goes to the pound for 30 days. I would not report Joe or the other dog, I just do not want Joe to get into trouble, maybe it would be best not to go to that dog park again.

OP
Holly33

Holly33

Aug 23, 2013
New Hampshire
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joe
So Joe was reported by the hospital to the local health department... He was quarantined at home for 10 days..the rules were no groomers, doggy daycare, strangers or dog parks. The 10 days is over and everything is back to normal. The dog officer was so nice and played with him a lot...the good news is that we move in 8 days to a house with a great backyard ..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So Joe was reported by the hospital to the local health department... He was quarantined at home for 10 days..the rules were no groomers, doggy daycare, strangers or dog parks. The 10 days is over and everything is back to normal. The dog officer was so nice and played with him a lot...the good news is that we move in 8 days to a house with a great backyard ..

that is great news! best of luck with the move

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.