agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
today i popped home from work, when i got out my 4x4 my wife let diesel out, 200yds from when i live my friend lives he has 2 bully bitches roughly about 3 in age and he has 2 pups (same litter as my pups) anyway diesel comes bouncing up then he heads to the fence of my friend. his bitches were out and when my wife goes to get diesel she shouts me over. his 2 bitches has thick yellow snot in there eyes and there eyes look really discoloured.
i know one of them had eye problems 3 months ago but i havent seen him out with his dogs so unsure if its something new...
i dont know what to do for the best, 3 hrs later and my wife is very upset still.

what would you do ? as i know the all i will get is excuses

jj isnt happy

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hmm...This is a tricky one. Maybe if you are having a conversation over at the fence you could mention something like "oh their eyes look pretty bad, what did the vet have to say about it"? If that opportunity doesn't arise, i'm afraid it would be hard to mention it without getting the friend upset. I would keep Diesel away from them for now, as you don't know if what they have is contagious.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like they may have pink eye-or worse! Keep Diesel away from them-if possible. I would mention it to the neighbor(like as if he didn't know) but that's about all you can do....if he won't acknowledge it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
The fact that both of their eyes looked this way indicates it's
probably contagious, poor babies, hope he gets them to the
Vet asap!

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
That is a tough spot, I would say that depending upon your relationship with the neighbor, you may want to just say something like "I noticed your dogs are having some eye issues, has the vet told you if it's contagious? I just need to know if I should keep Diesel away from them for a little while?" Hopefully it will prompt a discussion and you'll know what it is and if they are being treated for it

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would say something like Rosalie said, he's putting Diesel in jeopardy just because you live so close to him. I would go over and ask him about his bitches, that's what friends are for. They need help.

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
The problem is that with his dogs he won't be told and knows best. My flaw is I have a short fuse
I may send the wife over and see how she goes. As he must know how bad it is, I pray there getting treatment
Its shocking

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Like others have said, you can just be the friendly, concerned neighbor and check to see what's up. Nothing accusatory or anything but just more out of concern. If you think your wife can present the concern more, let's say, "calmly", then having her talk to them is a good idea. She can just say, "Oh my goodness, what happened to their eyes? Are they okay? looks like they may need to see the vet for that" OR, something more direct, "Your bully's eyes look like they're infected. Do you know what that is and it looks like some medication is in order".

good luck and let us know how this turns out!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The problem is that with his dogs he won't be told and knows best. My flaw is I have a short fuse
I may send the wife over and see how she goes. As he must know how bad it is, I pray there getting treatment
Its shocking

When in doubt send the wife, it never fails.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
That's not an easy situation as every one above has pointed out, but like you I would have to have my wife go deal with it as I would probably lose my cool as well.Good luck!!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Tell him someone you know posted a pic of a dog with an eye problem and it looked like what his dogs have...ask him any advice and what he's done about it...if he says "nothing " kick him in the franks and beans.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Unless your married to me, then send the husband.

Haha same here. i always send my husband otherwise i might end up in jail.

Was going to suggest to bring a 6 pack and just mention the condition nonchalant lol but yeah better send the wife.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jimmy, I agree with everyone's comments and suggestions I would send the wife over, unless you're on good terms with your neighbour, and talk to him on a regular basis. If not then your wife could just mention the eyes to him, and say she's concerned that it may be contagious. All you can do is suggest it to him, it's up to him if he listens to you, takes offence, or does anything about it, unfortunately we can't do anything about it, or force him to do the right thing and take his dogs to the vet. Hopefully he has already seen the vet, and is treating the eyes, or hopefully he listens to the advice and gets it taken care of.

Most Reactions