Collar or Harness?

AllieCoop

Jun 8, 2014
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Allie Grace and Cooper Jax
Hi. I am a Mom to two 19 week old english bulldogs, Allie and Cooper and was wondering what was recommended a Collar or Harness?

Thanks for the help

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Great question!
I use both. I don't really have a rhyme or reason as to which I use when, so I'm sure I'm of no help to you. I have heard Cesar Milan say if you put the collar high up on the dogs neck you control their head and when you control their head you control the dog.
Are either of them hard to walk (I realize their age and I don't mean you're walking them a mile a day)?

OP
AllieCoop

AllieCoop

Jun 8, 2014
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Allie Grace and Cooper Jax
He loves to walk on a leash, her not so much!!!! We usually go to dog parks where they don't have to be on a leash. Thanks for the info. They have collars right now but with all the skin on their neck didn't know if it mattered.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
We use a harness less stress on the neck a bit more work since Chance will fight and bite anything that slips over his head. We have to be more aware on our leading with the harness can be confusing to him. Starting our first puppy class in two days one of the issues i will be bringing up is what is better for training collar or harness.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Walley-Bubba uses both.

The soft touch collar works best for training (the short sharp jerk to move his head and get his attention) but pulls off easily because his neck is as thick as his head (?).
It also serves as an attachment for his medals (AKC, rabies, name, chip, etc tags).

The Kong harness works best for walks (no choking).
The handle works with the seatbelt looped through it to restrain him when riding shotgun in the car.
But it's ineffective for training.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We use collar to hold lilly dog tag and harness for walking , due to the length of their necks and the breathing problems they might experience we didnt trained lilly to walk using a collar
Now it all depends as she walks nicely ;-)

GuidoMarmo

May 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gemini, Guido, Marmo
Harness, hands down. They are more comfortable on them and easier on you. You can never get a collar tight enough on their big necks and you have more control and security with a harness. I am overprotective and collars make me nervous because once your baby bullies get bigger and stronger if they decide to happily chase a squirrel or something a collar will slip right off.

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
I use both collar and harness. Leo does pretty well walking on both but the harness is better
As he will pull if we are at the dog park. He's in a rush to play with the other doggies that the collar would pull on his
Neck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.