MY bully Girl is going ito Heat/What should I know?

allaboutbulldogs

Mar 25, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
My Rescue, is acting anxious, I think she maybe going into heat.

How much blood can I expect.I have adult diapers I bought for her..

My Vet said she could get Pyometrea if I don't spay her,so maybe
No puppies for her either way.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
How old is your dog? If she is a year or less, this will probably be her first heat. In the beginning, she will have most likely a light discharge/bloodywatery. Then she will bleed for approx three weeks. Her vulva will swell, and sometimes can get quite swollen. Some people day the dog's disposition may change-she may get cranky/whiney/restless.
Do not ever have her outside alone-even if you have fence. Wait at least 4 weeks before she is around any males. If you are going to spay her-best to wait until after her heat. Some dogs have a pretty heavy discharge when they are in heat-others not so much-but there will be swelling.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with dogs going into neat or being in hear, I have always had my female dogs spayed before their first heat, and because Bulldozer and Blossom are siblings and litter mates, I had them both spayed and neutered before Blossoms first heat, because I wouldn't have been able to keep them separated. Someone with more experience with this should be along soon to offer some advice. Are you planning on breeding Daisy? Or are you going to spay her later? My vet told me if I didn't spay Blossom before her first heat, then I would have to wait 3 months before I could do the surgery, I think it has to do with the hormone levels if I can remember. You mentioned that Daisy was a rescue, I'm surprised that they didn't have her spayed before she was adopted out. If you're not going to breed her, it's better for her health and safety to be spayed, as there is a higher risk of cancer in a female that isn't spayed, and also she could wander off or run away while in heat, and she could be at risk of getting lost, stolen, or hit by a car.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.