Obsessive licking

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I am sure I have brought this up at times but I just saw [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] mention something Princess Gracie does that sounds like something Samson does, paw/leg licking! Now that was what first indicated an issue with allergies in Samson, he was about a year old. Back then his face looked alot worse and he licked a whole lot more. Over the years we have made food changes, had vet visits, changed to a soap/fragrance free shampoo, all kinds of things and it has helped tremendously. BUT no matter what he still licks his paws!!!! It's definitely partly allergy related because at certain times of the year he does it more but no matter what he always does it to some extent. And its not a lack of exercise because no matter how much activity he has had that day he does it. I talked to my vet many times about it and it was agreed that it just sounds like an obsessive thing that some dogs do. But I feel bad, I wish there was something I could do to stop it! He does it alot at night so at times I have to resort to putting a soft e-collar on him, because otherwise he will lick his paw leaving a big wet spot on my bed (he sleeps with us) and that is just gross and the sounds absolutely drives me nuts, I could not fall asleep hearing that. Anyone else have an issue like this? Any advice or insight on our issue would be appreciated, thank you!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Cutty does the same. In fact I have to nudge him when we are going to sleep and tell him "no lick" to make him stop cuz he does it so obsessively that he shakes the bed and drives me nutso. lol. I am not sure if it is allergy or not cuz no matter what food we have been on it has been a problem. He isnt biting his paws or itching so much as just licking like mad. And mostly when it is bedtime so that tells me it is an ocd thing. Gotta love it. Sorry not better advice. :)

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Cutty does the same. In fact I have to nudge him when we are going to sleep and tell him "no lick" to make him stop cuz he does it so obsessively that he shakes the bed and drives me nutso. lol. I am not sure if it is allergy or not cuz no matter what food we have been on it has been a problem. He isnt biting his paws or itching so much as just licking like mad. And mostly when it is bedtime so that tells me it is an ocd thing. Gotta love it. Sorry not better advice. :)

Seeing as Cutty is a bit toy obsessive like Samson it doesn't surprise me that they share another obsessive trait LOL

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
o we have the same probem over here as well.. since ive been wrapping his paw to heal his cut i tell him if he doesnt stop im gonna wrap his feet for the night he looks at me with that ya right look snorts does it for a min then stops for the nite lol....

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Norman is the same way... extremely obsessive about it. I tell him to stop licking at night too. The sound grosses me out!!!!:curse: And it will wake me out of a dead sleep when he licks.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Ditto for Gracie. It's almost always at night. And if she starts it after we go to bed it can be very annoying. I can sometimes get her to stop if I say no lick and hold (cradle) her bottom jaw a few minutes. She seemed better right after her teeth cleaning, but not for long. I think mostly it's OCD. She licks the air wildly more than herself, but has licked one spot on her leg enough to cause a rash, then even after covering so she wouldn't lick it didn't seem to be getting better after about two weeks.

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
My dad's Boston Terrior did this everynight as well, his vet told him to give him a benedryl right after he had his dinner, I don't think it was allergy related more like OCD also, but the benedryl would help make him a little tired and he would not do it so much. His feet were white and they always were bright pink (front ones only) for years.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Cassie always licked her paws..drove us nuts at night especially my husband..he said he heard slurping all night lol. Our Boston also does it, but if you nudge him, he stops. Must be a breed thing

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Bear will periodically get what I call licking fits. He will lick his legs, our feet and legs, the rug, the walls, the tables, chairs, and sofas espcially the one covered in microfiber which is horrible to get spit off of. He does it all in the space of an hour or so. He doesn't do this all the time, maybe once or twice a week.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva doesnt lick herself she licks the blankets. Me and Silva go to bed early and Silva licks my husband's side of the bed and it feels like someone dumped a bucket of water on it. I try to stop her but she wont listen. :p

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I'm amazed at how many have responded to this topic.... I thought it was a problem that just Gracie had. I have threatened her that I was going to duck tape her mouth shut more than once... LOL ;)

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Well, my Bullies are obviously abnormal, because neither Gertie or Ida lick anything. Gertie does, however, lay and growl at her foot. (Does this count? She's a bit weird!)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] your comment got me to thinking back. Right after Gracie got her teeth cleaned she was on pain killers for I think about 10 days. That's probably why she stopped the licking then. She was drugged.

I worry about giving Benadryl on a regular basis unless it was absolutely necessary. I would be afraid of long term use side effects.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Paw licking is usually a sign of allergies, *but* I also believe it is like a soothing thing for some bulldogs. Like a pacifier. Molly used to lick her paws and now she does not- which is wierd. Occasionally I can tell she has been, and I give her a benedryl and she stops doing it. None of my other bulldogs do it, but none of them have allergies that I am aware of. With Molly, I am 100% certain it was the Iams causing her to lick her paws. Now she has pretty glowing white feet :)

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I will tell you what I would do. and you can make up your own mind. this behavior must stop, because at this point it has become a HABIT !!! and I have seen dogs literally chew on their legs till they chewed a hole in it and then chewed until the leg had to be amputated!!!
So -- it must be stopped, that is why causes of chewing are important to stop early on,
the food --what kind(brand)type of meat) laundry soap? plants in yard, ?? type please? Pine trees? in yard? what are you using on the floors for cleaning? on hard surfaces? and on carpeting? on carpeting , you almost always must rinse the carpet at least an extra time with water , I advise twice. the shampoo is strong. and if it is worse during spring or fall season, then it is probably a growing thing . try to watch behavior and location of favorite places to walk to toilet in yard, it could give you a clue.and during that time of year, it would not hurt to once or twice a year to get them a steroid shot to just get them through that time of year. it is very hard on the liver but that is not to bad in the realm of a licking habit. OR -- an alternate idea would be to give them a prednisone tab , for it --but give it every other day instead of daily, for a duration of a week or so . just to get them back to square one and not itching. also , a spray that I really like on the market it is called CORTAID SPRAY - it is in the human first aid isle, use the spray not the cream. it works instantly. and is safe enough . also they do make a no bite collar that is a wrap around the neck collar, much like we humans wear after a car accident, you can buy them online for a small sum of about $6.00. good luck and let me know.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online