Thread: Obsessive licking

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Obsessive licking

I am sure I have brought this up at times but I just saw @LariP @BruceP mention something Princess Gracie does that sounds like something Samson does, paw/leg licking! Now that was what first indicated an issue with allergies in Samson, he was about a year old. Back then his face looked alot worse and he licked a whole lot more. Over the years we have made food changes, had vet visits, changed to a soap/fragrance free shampoo, all kinds of things and it has helped tremendously. BUT no matter what he still licks his paws!!!! It's definitely partly allergy related because at certain times of the year he does it more but no matter what he always does it to some extent. And its not a lack of exercise because no matter how much activity he has had that day he does it. I talked to my vet many times about it and it was agreed that it just sounds like an obsessive thing that some dogs do. But I feel bad, I wish there was something I could do to stop it! He does it alot at night so at times I have to resort to putting a soft e-collar on him, because otherwise he will lick his paw leaving a big wet spot on my bed (he sleeps with us) and that is just gross and the sounds absolutely drives me nuts, I could not fall asleep hearing that. Anyone else have an issue like this? Any advice or insight on our issue would be appreciated, thank you!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Obsessive licking

Cutty does the same. In fact I have to nudge him when we are going to sleep and tell him "no lick" to make him stop cuz he does it so obsessively that he shakes the bed and drives me nutso. lol. I am not sure if it is allergy or not cuz no matter what food we have been on it has been a problem. He isnt biting his paws or itching so much as just licking like mad. And mostly when it is bedtime so that tells me it is an ocd thing. Gotta love it. Sorry not better advice.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    Cutty does the same. In fact I have to nudge him when we are going to sleep and tell him "no lick" to make him stop cuz he does it so obsessively that he shakes the bed and drives me nutso. lol. I am not sure if it is allergy or not cuz no matter what food we have been on it has been a problem. He isnt biting his paws or itching so much as just licking like mad. And mostly when it is bedtime so that tells me it is an ocd thing. Gotta love it. Sorry not better advice.
    Seeing as Cutty is a bit toy obsessive like Samson it doesn't surprise me that they share another obsessive trait LOL

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

o we have the same probem over here as well.. since ive been wrapping his paw to heal his cut i tell him if he doesnt stop im gonna wrap his feet for the night he looks at me with that ya right look snorts does it for a min then stops for the nite lol....

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

Norman is the same way... extremely obsessive about it. I tell him to stop licking at night too. The sound grosses me out!!!!:curse: And it will wake me out of a dead sleep when he licks.
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Ditto for Gracie. It's almost always at night. And if she starts it after we go to bed it can be very annoying. I can sometimes get her to stop if I say no lick and hold (cradle) her bottom jaw a few minutes. She seemed better right after her teeth cleaning, but not for long. I think mostly it's OCD. She licks the air wildly more than herself, but has licked one spot on her leg enough to cause a rash, then even after covering so she wouldn't lick it didn't seem to be getting better after about two weeks.
    Last edited by LariP; 01-05-2011 at 06:15 PM.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

My dad's Boston Terrior did this everynight as well, his vet told him to give him a benedryl right after he had his dinner, I don't think it was allergy related more like OCD also, but the benedryl would help make him a little tired and he would not do it so much. His feet were white and they always were bright pink (front ones only) for years.

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

Cassie always licked her paws..drove us nuts at night especially my husband..he said he heard slurping all night lol. Our Boston also does it, but if you nudge him, he stops. Must be a breed thing
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear
    Likes (Received)

Bear will periodically get what I call licking fits. He will lick his legs, our feet and legs, the rug, the walls, the tables, chairs, and sofas espcially the one covered in microfiber which is horrible to get spit off of. He does it all in the space of an hour or so. He doesn't do this all the time, maybe once or twice a week.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Silva doesnt lick herself she licks the blankets. Me and Silva go to bed early and Silva licks my husband's side of the bed and it feels like someone dumped a bucket of water on it. I try to stop her but she wont listen.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

I'm amazed at how many have responded to this topic.... I thought it was a problem that just Gracie had. I have threatened her that I was going to duck tape her mouth shut more than once... LOL

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Well, my Bullies are obviously abnormal, because neither Gertie or Ida lick anything. Gertie does, however, lay and growl at her foot. (Does this count? She's a bit weird!)

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads