Obsessive licking

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I use the Gold colored listerine. Stops them instantly. You don't need much.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
How do you use the listerine?

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I just put some in my hand and rub it on his paws. It also works good on base boards and wires and things dogs like to chew.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I use the Gold colored listerine. Stops them instantly. You don't need much.

Well we already knew that HRH isn't your average bulldog.

Most bullies love carrots and green beans. She doesn't like either one, she simply spits them back out.

I have tried putting listerine on her paws to stop her from licking them. She still licked. I tried leaving the listerine soaked cotton pad laying on her leg. She just started licking that too!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I don't know how many of you have their bullies on the 5 year Rabies. However excessive paw licking is a side effect. We found this out the hard way with Sophie. My Brother-in-law has a jack russell who had a terrible reaction to the 5 yr Rabies and Terri's niece a Vet sent him the information about all the side effects. When we were complaining of how Sophie started licking her paws consistently, He told us about it.

We opted NOT to give it to Bella.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
here is the link to Humco oils. I like them becuase they are natural, and the clove oil is used to this day in jails and prisons for tooth aches. I also get lavendar for calming in the house too.
<http://store.humco.com/Oils.html>------------ 10 OIL CLOVE 1 oz for==
1 oz..... Flavor and fragrance. (Shipping lbs: 0.177)
Price: $15.12 Stock #: 194991001--------- this will last a year or more. 1 to 2 drops**
is all thats needed, ON NAILS__only and furniture,floorboards and such. let them get 1 good taste-never again will they touch anything with it.
Qty:

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
ALL DOGS SHOULD HAVE AN ANTIHISTAMINE THE DAY OF SHOTS, BEFORE OR AT THE TIME OF SHOTS!! under 50 lbs,--1 benadryl(25mg) over 50 lbs 2 benadryl( 50mgs)
dogs can have up to 3 a day. for anxiety, 4th of July ((shots to protect/reduce any anaphylactic shock syndrome, reactions!)) this is according to the veterinary colleges , Tuffs/Cornell
please pass this around !! it saves a lot of dogs some scary reactions!

BabeEnglishBulldog

Feb 17, 2011
Over licking can be also caused by growing teeth, I suggest you buy the dog chewing toys to compensate for the licking and biting issues.

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Gracie is 4+. I think her teething days are over but you are correct for puppies. She will incessantly lick the air which is quite annoying in itself let alone when she licks her paws and slobbers on whatever she is laying on at the time.

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Weeeeeeeeeell, the thing I know is........just like a bulldog's face.....their paws are wrinkles..........so they can have allergy infections in these areas.The difference is they can reach these areas. Which causes problems 2 fold.......First on the bottom of any dogs feet is glands that release their signature musk smell. That is why they scratch the areas after they have peed or pooed. It's to spread more of their own scent. Weeeeeeeeell, the problem is they like their own smell. That smell gets caught between their toes from the hair between the bottom of their paws. You should always have that trimmed when having the toe-nails trimmed. That allows the musk not to hang around on them when they scratch the ground. Secondly between the toes on the tops of the paws will collect moisture and moisture will start the yeast infections. So definitely clean with baby wipes between the toes if you see any pink or worst red at all. Feet care is just another reality quirk we have to adjust to so that we can take care of our buddy's over-all health maintenance. Have a great day!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] Well clove oil didn't work any better than the listerine.

HRH proceeded to lick it off of her nails and now is presently going to town alternately licking the air and both front legs. :confused:

We use clove oil for our fish as an anesthetic if we have to treat a wound. In a concentrated enough dose it can be used to put them to sleep if they are too I'll to treat.

Wonder if it will help her sleep well tonight?

Last edited:

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Please folks -- listen up ----- re: Cornell and Tuffs vet magazine, 2006 or so -- when giving any dogs vaccinations , always give a benadryl prior to shot!!! it will either eliminate or reduce -vastly any reaction

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] :confused: Her obsessive licking doesn't have anything to do with a vaccination. I tried the clove oil at your suggestion to try to curb that so she won't end up with another rash

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
yes the reply below has a good point, has she a yeast infection on moist areas, paws, wrinkles, private areas, try for at least a couple weeks , mix 50/50 vinegar water, and wash these areas daily, it raises the acid content and will not grow yeast,(but if the vet says she has no yeast,-it will keep it form occurring ever again) but she will need antibiotics if she has one now. this is similar to a douche for women or athletes feet on men. same deal, but vinegar is natural.
these are the most common reasons to lick or chew,
the wrong food
soaps that are perfumed,
rugs that are not rinsed enough with clear water
growing things,( it helps a lot to dip the dogs feet into a bucket of warm soapy water on coming inside.)
these are just the normal things. it can also but rarely be fleas, usually that is a but itching,
go through the above items, and keep trying things. I am sure one of us will come up with an idea that will work. good luck.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.