Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obsessive licking

Real Name
    Mike Blaylock
    Bulldog(s) Names
    SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Obsessive licking

Weeeeeeeeeell, the thing I know is........just like a bulldog's face.....their paws are wrinkles..........so they can have allergy infections in these areas.The difference is they can reach these areas. Which causes problems 2 fold.......First on the bottom of any dogs feet is glands that release their signature musk smell. That is why they scratch the areas after they have peed or pooed. It's to spread more of their own scent. Weeeeeeeeell, the problem is they like their own smell. That smell gets caught between their toes from the hair between the bottom of their paws. You should always have that trimmed when having the toe-nails trimmed. That allows the musk not to hang around on them when they scratch the ground. Secondly between the toes on the tops of the paws will collect moisture and moisture will start the yeast infections. So definitely clean with baby wipes between the toes if you see any pink or worst red at all. Feet care is just another reality quirk we have to adjust to so that we can take care of our buddy's over-all health maintenance. Have a great day!

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

@Lindathedogsmaid Well clove oil didn't work any better than the listerine.

HRH proceeded to lick it off of her nails and now is presently going to town alternately licking the air and both front legs.

We use clove oil for our fish as an anesthetic if we have to treat a wound. In a concentrated enough dose it can be used to put them to sleep if they are too I'll to treat.

Wonder if it will help her sleep well tonight?
    Last edited by LariP; 02-22-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Please folks -- listen up ----- re: Cornell and Tuffs vet magazine, 2006 or so -- when giving any dogs vaccinations , always give a benadryl prior to shot!!! it will either eliminate or reduce -vastly any reaction
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

@Lindathedogsmaid Her obsessive licking doesn't have anything to do with a vaccination. I tried the clove oil at your suggestion to try to curb that so she won't end up with another rash

Real Name
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

great thought- if the dog is under a yr old and any other time. they love a kong with old fashioned cream cheese in it.
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Real Name
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

yes the reply below has a good point, has she a yeast infection on moist areas, paws, wrinkles, private areas, try for at least a couple weeks , mix 50/50 vinegar water, and wash these areas daily, it raises the acid content and will not grow yeast,(but if the vet says she has no yeast,-it will keep it form occurring ever again) but she will need antibiotics if she has one now. this is similar to a douche for women or athletes feet on men. same deal, but vinegar is natural.
    these are the most common reasons to lick or chew,
    the wrong food
    soaps that are perfumed,
    rugs that are not rinsed enough with clear water
    growing things,( it helps a lot to dip the dogs feet into a bucket of warm soapy water on coming inside.)
    these are just the normal things. it can also but rarely be fleas, usually that is a but itching,
    go through the above items, and keep trying things. I am sure one of us will come up with an idea that will work. good luck.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Real Name
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

LOL!! probably not -- but Lavender is very soothing to dogs , me too.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Maggie licks her paws too ... mainly at night .... and I believe that for her it's a soothing action ... a bit like a baby with a pacifier!! @BruceP and @LariP ...maybe that's why HRH does it too as she does seem to have confidence/nervous problems already. So it could be soothing for her when she's feeling a little anxious .. just a thought??

Real Name
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes the licking at night is normal. they do like to
    keep those feet clean too. and it is a soothing thing too.bur all during the day or evening is not.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads