Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obsessive licking

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Obsessive licking

@KMARINO your comment got me to thinking back. Right after Gracie got her teeth cleaned she was on pain killers for I think about 10 days. That's probably why she stopped the licking then. She was drugged.

I worry about giving Benadryl on a regular basis unless it was absolutely necessary. I would be afraid of long term use side effects.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Paw licking is usually a sign of allergies, *but* I also believe it is like a soothing thing for some bulldogs. Like a pacifier. Molly used to lick her paws and now she does not- which is wierd. Occasionally I can tell she has been, and I give her a benedryl and she stops doing it. None of my other bulldogs do it, but none of them have allergies that I am aware of. With Molly, I am 100% certain it was the Iams causing her to lick her paws. Now she has pretty glowing white feet

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I will tell you what I would do. and you can make up your own mind. this behavior must stop, because at this point it has become a HABIT !!! and I have seen dogs literally chew on their legs till they chewed a hole in it and then chewed until the leg had to be amputated!!!
    So -- it must be stopped, that is why causes of chewing are important to stop early on,
    the food --what kind(brand)type of meat) laundry soap? plants in yard, ?? type please? Pine trees? in yard? what are you using on the floors for cleaning? on hard surfaces? and on carpeting? on carpeting , you almost always must rinse the carpet at least an extra time with water , I advise twice. the shampoo is strong. and if it is worse during spring or fall season, then it is probably a growing thing . try to watch behavior and location of favorite places to walk to toilet in yard, it could give you a clue.and during that time of year, it would not hurt to once or twice a year to get them a steroid shot to just get them through that time of year. it is very hard on the liver but that is not to bad in the realm of a licking habit. OR -- an alternate idea would be to give them a prednisone tab , for it --but give it every other day instead of daily, for a duration of a week or so . just to get them back to square one and not itching. also , a spray that I really like on the market it is called CORTAID SPRAY - it is in the human first aid isle, use the spray not the cream. it works instantly. and is safe enough . also they do make a no bite collar that is a wrap around the neck collar, much like we humans wear after a car accident, you can buy them online for a small sum of about $6.00. good luck and let me know.
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

I use the Gold colored listerine. Stops them instantly. You don't need much.
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

How do you use the listerine?

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

I just put some in my hand and rub it on his paws. It also works good on base boards and wires and things dogs like to chew.
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog family View Post
    I use the Gold colored listerine. Stops them instantly. You don't need much.
    Well we already knew that HRH isn't your average bulldog.

Most bullies love carrots and green beans. She doesn't like either one, she simply spits them back out.

I have tried putting listerine on her paws to stop her from licking them. She still licked. I tried leaving the listerine soaked cotton pad laying on her leg. She just started licking that too!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

I don't know how many of you have their bullies on the 5 year Rabies. However excessive paw licking is a side effect. We found this out the hard way with Sophie. My Brother-in-law has a jack russell who had a terrible reaction to the 5 yr Rabies and Terri's niece a Vet sent him the information about all the side effects. When we were complaining of how Sophie started licking her paws consistently, He told us about it.

We opted NOT to give it to Bella.

Always with me

Real Name
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

here is the link to Humco oils. I like them becuase they are natural, and the clove oil is used to this day in jails and prisons for tooth aches. I also get lavendar for calming in the house too.
    <http://store.humco.com/Oils.html>------------ 10 OIL CLOVE 1 oz for==
    1 oz..... Flavor and fragrance. (Shipping lbs: 0.177)
    Price: $15.12 Stock #: 194991001--------- this will last a year or more. 1 to 2 drops**
    is all thats needed, ON NAILS__only and furniture,floorboards and such. let them get 1 good taste-never again will they touch anything with it.
    Qty:
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Real Name
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

ALL DOGS SHOULD HAVE AN ANTIHISTAMINE THE DAY OF SHOTS, BEFORE OR AT THE TIME OF SHOTS!! under 50 lbs,--1 benadryl(25mg) over 50 lbs 2 benadryl( 50mgs)
    dogs can have up to 3 a day. for anxiety, 4th of July ((shots to protect/reduce any anaphylactic shock syndrome, reactions!)) this is according to the veterinary colleges , Tuffs/Cornell
    please pass this around !! it saves a lot of dogs some scary reactions!
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Over licking can be also caused by growing teeth, I suggest you buy the dog chewing toys to compensate for the licking and biting issues.
    Last edited by BabeEnglishBulldog; 03-06-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Gracie is 4+. I think her teething days are over but you are correct for puppies. She will incessantly lick the air which is quite annoying in itself let alone when she licks her paws and slobbers on whatever she is laying on at the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads