The real deal... Food suggestions for an 11 wk old female?

kcdaisy

Jan 3, 2011
Kansas City
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
We are currently feeding our 11 wk old Daisy the Science Diet Puppy (small chunks) that she was being fed when we got her. From what I know about dogs (she's our 5th), this isn't necessarily the best. Furthermore, I've been studying many suggestions for bully's as they often times require a little different diet.

What did you feed yours, and what do you recommend?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I personally feed Natures Variety Instinct, I need that for Samson's problems with allergies and ear infections. If we didn't have the issues with ear infections I would have stayed with Fromm, one of their grain free formulas for Samson's allergies. If he didn't have allergies I'd alternate between all the Fromm 4 star formulas grain free and not. I think they are a wonderful company and just feel confident that it is a very high quality product which is important to me because I think eating well is essential to overall well being in animals and people alike. At that age you would probably want to go with a puppy food though, Fromm 4 star foods are all stages but I think she should have the puppy diet for a couple more months before switching to an all life stages food. Hopefully you can get more advise on a good puppy food, it's been so long since I've fed puppy food so I don't have a good suggestion for that.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Def change foods but I also havent had apuppy in quite some time so no help here on what would be a good choice. Any of the rated 3 stars or higher would be much more ideal, on our food ratings page. Maybe look at those and see which ones make puppy food and pick from there.

OP
kcdaisy

kcdaisy

Jan 3, 2011
Kansas City
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thanks for the suggestions. We haven't ever used Science Diet as we haven't ever had good experiences with it, but we've kept it for just long enough until we decide on a better food.

Just got back from her 1st vet visit: minor yeast infections in both ears and a minor respiratory infection. She's on her meds for those now, and we will switch her food by the weekend. Or rather, start switching! Thx!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
lex is 11 months old and we have him on avoderm for puppy.. which i believe its a 3 star, i believe?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is doing wonderful on Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon, grain/gluten free like [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION], I tried other ones before finding this one, he does not do well on the Chicken. What a HUGE difference finding the right food does for them!!! I was amazed and at my wit's end on how bad he smelled all the time, even though we bathed him and washed his face daily, My whole house was stinking!! Now just a bath about every 3 weeks and daily face wash and NO SMELL, No yeast and No ear infections!!!!!

I don't know if you can give it to a puppy, there are other's that can answer that like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]/

Last edited:

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I also feed Avoderm and am really happy with it. I forget what Chester was on at the breeder, but it wasn't as good as the Avoderm. Many good choices out there.. just important to stay away from the nasty stuff! :)

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I had Bear on Avoderm for the first few months and it was fantastic!!! I switched to Fromm 4* Surf n Turf only because I heard so many great things about it and Avoderm wasn't helping with tear stains, but since Daisy doesn't have an all white face that wouldn't be too much of a concern for your EB. I recommend either of these but definitely get her off Science Diet!!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I have Gertie and Ida (7 mos. old) on Nature's Variety Prairie. It's not grain free, and so far they are doing fine on it. No problems with allergies so far.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I believe it is higher protein that you want for puppies......Can someone confirm that? Something to consider.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
I thought protein was suppose to be around 25%?

I get so confused on dog food topics. Jozi is still
on Iams cause I don't know what else to buy her.
I'm not going to put her on Fromm. I can't get
it anywhere around here,and want something that
I can easily get in case we forget to order and run out.

OP
kcdaisy

kcdaisy

Jan 3, 2011
Kansas City
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Puppies need protein as they build their muscles and expend tons of energy, but generally as all dogs grow their need for protein diminishes. Based on Daisy's yeast infections in her ears, we're going to avoid grain entirely (as well as potato) and settle with Nature's Logic or Nature's Variety. A local store carries both brands and we're taking a trip their today to check it out.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=1676]kcdaisy[/MENTION] Nature's Variety Instinct is the ONLY food I know of that is grain and potato free. I'll tell you if you are having problem with yeast in the ear I suggest Natures Variety Instinct, after switching that it ended 6 months of back to back ear infections in Samson. It was amazing, I wish I would have switched sooner.

OP
kcdaisy

kcdaisy

Jan 3, 2011
Kansas City
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] No doubt with Natures Variety! We've had her on it for about 10 days now and it appears that she's already benefitting from the switch. She scratches at her ears MUCH less, and she seems less itchy on her skin. She would frequently scratch her sides, or when you scratched her she would moan in pleasure. Although she "itches" less and appears to have less concern over her ears, she still moans when scsratched, and LOVES her tummy rubs!
Daisy.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.