Tear stain / food/ acne

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hey guys- not sure I'm putting this in the right section but I have some questions. So both duke and duchess were on raw since about 12 weeks- duke is now 15 months and duchess is about 27months- in February I decided to try kibble because I had been going to shows and hardly anyone fed raw- duke and duchess did great on raw except for their wrinkles / tear stains they were always dark and wet no matter what protein. So I switched them to natures logic and they did good on it and the tear stains started to go away- however it was not carried locally and ordering online was a hassle so I switched them to Fromm pork and peas. They have been doing ok on this food but now both duke and duchess have horrible chin acne- dukes is to the point of constantly bleeding- this is not acceptable. I have now started home cooking for them and this is the least they have ever teared and the best lightest their tear stains have gotten. I don't think home cooking is practical for my life style or there's for that matter- not to mention shedding has increased since going to home cooked meals- I guess my questions are 1) what to do about the com acne- they both go in for yearly check ups next Friday and don't want to have meds/creams pushed on me. 2) who home cooks here? Is it practical? How do you balance the diet?

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Forgot to mention they both were waking up with gunk in their eyes daily while on kibble

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Someone more knowledgable will be along shortly, I don't have any experience here. Holly has had very little acne in her life.

Did the acne and bleeding start before the pork and peas? Have you tried another flavor of Fromms? You can change grain free Fromms flavors without a transition period.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
The acne started when I switched to kibble and progressively got worse- I didn't recognize it until dukes chin started bleeding

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Have you tried probiotics with the kibble?

Shihtzustaff

Apr 30, 2014
Maple Ridge, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Stevie Ray
I would go back to raw. We have been feeding raw for over a decade and we have never noticed this issue. My bulldog is almost a year and has been raw fed. She has no tear staining issues or acne. The best way to minimize reactions in a breed prone to allergies is to limit the amount of stuff in their food. Have you tried feeding just RMBs? Move away from a ground food and feed whole pieces of chicken (they can eat the bones raw). With beef, they can chew on the bones but not break them down. Most pork bones can be eaten raw by the dogs. The only reaction Stevie Ray has had was to pork - she broke out in hives. That was months ago and she has had bits of pork here and there but not a whole meal of it. I don't think we would have risked getting an English Bulldog if we didn't feed raw as the risk for allergies is so big.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I fed them both raw for well over a year but did ground with bone because duchess inhales her food and choked a couple times. No matter what protein I used when on raw they both had horrible tear stains. Believe me raw is my first choice- but I hate the tear stains

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.