Paw pain!

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
I took Bosco for a walk to the beach on Sunday, and ever since, he's been having some pain or discomfort in his right paw. He came home from the beach that day and was licking his paw for quite a while. The next day he went to doggy daycare and came home limping terribly. He limped for a couple of days after that, but by yesterday afternoon it seemed to have improved and he was walking around normally again. But today he went to doggy daycare again and the paw pain seems to be back!

Poor little guy, he's been lying around all evening and limping as he moves around the house.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to their bullies? Paw pain for no apparent reason?

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I don't know where in Canada you are but is it possible he got a bug bite? Maybe it itches him. Any swelling at all?
the other thing that occurred to me is that he may have pulled a muscle walking in soft sand

OP
BoscosMom

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
I think it's his paw moreso than his muscles, because when I touch his right paw he does seem sensitive to it. Could be a bug bite..hmm..

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:sorry:Hi, poor baby, could he have maybe stepped on something at the beach, a rock could have bruised his paw, or a piece of glass or some other sharp object? Did you check his paw to see if he has a sore or a cut on his pad, or maybe he has something stuck in his pad? When you were at the beach, was it a hot day? Maybe the pavement or the sand was hot and could have hurt his paw? How old is Rocco?, it could be growing pains, or he may have just strained his footer paw from walking a long time. I would give his paw a good look over to check for any sore spots, cuts, etc, and if he does have something, clean it, soak it in warm water and vinegar or Epsom salts and warm water, and then put Polysporin or Neosporin on it. If there aren't any sores or visible cuts, it may just be a sprain or a strain, in which case he just needs to rest the foot for a few days. If you don't find anything, and you haven't seen any improvement in a couple of days, I would have the vet check his paw. Keep an eye on it, and see the vet if it doesn't seem to be getting any better, it can take 3 or 4 days or up to a week to heal a sore paw or leg. I hope it's nothing serious, and he feels better soon. Please keep,us posted on how he's doing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 119
OP
BoscosMom

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
:sorry:Hi, poor baby, could he have maybe stepped on something at the beach, a rock could have bruised his paw, or a piece of glass or some other sharp object? Did you check his paw to see if he has a sore or a cut on his pad, or maybe he has something stuck in his pad? When you were at the beach, was it a hot day? Maybe the pavement or the sand was hot and could have hurt his paw? How old is Rocco?, it could be growing pains, or he may have just strained his footer paw from walking a long time. I would give his paw a good look over to check for any sore spots, cuts, etc, and if he does have something, clean it, soak it in warm water and vinegar or Epsom salts and warm water, and then put Polysporin or Neosporin on it. If there aren't any sores or visible cuts, it may just be a sprain or a strain, in which case he just needs to rest the foot for a few days. If you don't find anything, and you haven't seen any improvement in a couple of days, I would have the vet check his paw. Keep an eye on it, and see the vet if it doesn't seem to be getting any better, it can take 3 or 4 days or up to a week to heal a sore paw or leg. I hope it's nothing serious, and he feels better soon. Please keep,us posted on how he's doing.

Thanks you guys for the tips!

You were right VikingGirl, it's a cut or a sore of some sort - I just took him outside for a potty break and made him roll onto his back and thoroughly examined his paws in the natural light. It does look like there are small wounds and dried blood under his two front paw pads! Eek! I checked his pads everyday under bright lights in my house and didn't see these wounds..Weird. Just sent the husband to the drugstore to get some epsom salts, and will give his poor little paws a soak tonight. :(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor baby, it's great that you found what was bothering him. It can be hard to see cuts or sores on the paw, because the skin is so rough. Just clean it well with some Hydrogen Peroxide, it doesn't sting, and soak it, and then put an antibiotic cream on it. If you can cover it with gauze and he won't chew or eat it, that would be best, but only if he won't bite it off or eat it. Mine would and has done that at the vets after his neuter surgery, he ate the gauze off his paw, and swallowed it while he was in recovery. He pooped it out a few days later. Clean it everyday until its healed, if you do this at nighttime, he'll be less likely to bite or lick at it because he'll be sleeping, and the cream will stay on longer as he won't be walking on it when he's sleeping. I hope it heals up fast. We're you able to see if there was anything in his paw? Like glass or other sharp object? After you soak it, it will be easier to check and feel for this as the skin will be soft.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.