Would an American Bulldog make a good pet for a family with a toddler?

ShawnRHarmon

Jun 5, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Olde Boston bulldogge
We've been looking for a while now for a family dog. I'm a lonely stay at home mom and could use the company, and my 1 year old LOVES dogs. In fact, DOG is one of the few words he can say =). We don't have the $ to buy from a breeder (and don't want a puppy), and would like to rescue a dog that needs a home. I found a small american bulldog mix (looks exactly like a bully, so I'm not sure of the mix). She is 1 year and 4 months and weighs 45 lbs. We went to see the dog and she loved my son..a little too much actually. She licked his face like crazy. I didn't take her right away because I wanted to think about it to make sure it was the right decision. I worry that she may "like" my son too much and lick him to death whenever he's walking around, or knock him over when she gets excited. On the other hand, we were in her house when we met her and she was comfortable there and excited to see such a little person. I wonder if when we took her home she would calm down a little and realize that she's in his(my 1 year old) house. Maybe she would get used to him being around and they could live in peace. I don't know. I would appreciate any advice. Do you think it's a good idea??? Should we get her?

P.S. I know that any dog, no matter the breed, should never be left alone with a child.

buy.gif

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have never had an American Bulldog myself but I've heard so many positive things about them. I follow an American Bulldog Rescue group on FB and I see many who are adopted into families with kids and toddlers. How did your son react to her? She sounds like a lovely bully and I'm sure she was just super excited to be around someone closer to her "level" (height-wise). You should ask a lot of questions to her current owner or foster as far as temperament and behavioral history which I'm sure you've already done. Sounds like a wonderful idea!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: thank you for considering rescue.... American Bulldogs are wonderful breed with a LOT of energy. Depending on your time and patience you can train her to be a calm loving companion to your son. They are quick learners and eager to please so a simpel training techneque like 'noting in life is free' can get her in line quickly. She will need long daily walks, high play time or doggie daycare a couple days a week to work off the energy, but it is totally doable.

Best of luck in your decision... and let us know how you make out

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
As a mother of a toddler I'm going to say no unless you get an older well trained one. As 2BullyMama said , thsey have lots of energy are quite large and very strong. I just see the potential for lots of accidents,getting hit in the face by happy tail being knocked over while toddling around ect. AlsonI don't know how dog experienced you are but abds are not a dog I would recommend to beginners. I love them but from your description you are going to have a lot of work ahead of you. Not trying to be a negative Nancy just being realistic. Best of luck whatever you decide

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Any dog will need to be taught to control themselves around a toddler so they don't plow them over with excitement

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
As a mother of a 2 yr old and I have 3 other kids. Let me tell you it's a lot of work. I have a 11 wk old puppy and training my 2 yr old and the puppy to play right is hard. If you have the patience to train the dog the way you want it to behave in your house and to be able to give your 1 yr old training as well to play with the dog I would say do it. Just remember it's a full time job with the both the dog isn't that old it's only a year. So just make sure you will have time for both at the same time. It's hard for me to train Mia my pup and have my son crying cause he wants to train her as well. So it's hard to find happy medium. But if you have the time to invest into both equally then go for it.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.